Flint Hill's Elayna Duprey attacks the ball at the 2018 Metro City Championship against Paul VI. (Kathy Isaac /Kathy Isaac)

Winning has become a tradition for Flint Hill over the past few seasons. Past success in the program motivates current Huskies to play at a high level consistently.

“We have been able to build a strong tradition, so the players know coming in that the expectations are high and they never change,” said Coach Carrol DeNure, in her 16th season. “Just having that legacy, the team wants to continue that. While doing so, they want to place their own mark for the next team to follow.”

The Huskies dominated the 2018 season, winning the Independent Student League, D.C. Metro City Championship and the Virginia Independent School Athletic Association Division 1 title for the second straight year.

Flint Hill has a handful of players returning, including last year’s First Team All-Met Sydney Reed (a North Carolina commit) and outside hitter Denver Pugh (Cal State Bakersfield).

“Those two are extremely athletic and talented volleyball players. Both of them are committed to play Division I volleyball,” DeNure said. “They exemplify what it means to be a great teammate and their leadership abilities are awesome.”

The Huskies will open the season against last year’s Virginia Class 6 champions, Chantilly, on Sept. 5.

(All records from last season)

1. Flint Hill (30-1) Last ranked: 2

The Huskies are poised for another strong season, as they will return nine players and four starters from last year’s team that went 30-1.

2. Loudoun County (30-1) LR: 3

The Raiders will be a force, as they seek to win their 12th Virginia Class 4 title in the last 13 years.

3. Northwest (19-1) LR: 4

Even though Northwest won’t have All-Met Player of the Year Jenaisya Moore to lead the way, the Jaguars still have the potential to win their fifth straight Maryland 4A title.

4. Atholton (22-2-1) LR: 5

In their quest to repeat as Maryland 3A champions, the Raiders will rely on senior middle hitter Chanelle Smith, who recorded 180 kills and a .423 hitting percentage.

5. Middleburg Academy (28-4-1) LR: 6

The Dragons went 28-4-1 and won the Virginia Independent Schools Athletic Association Division 3 championship last year.

6. Chantilly (28-0) LR: 1

The Chargers were the best team in the area last season, going 28-0 and winning the Virginia Class 6 championship. This season may present more resistance because Chantilly lost six players to graduation.

7. Stone Bridge (27-3) LR: 7

The Bulldogs will be looking to bounce back after a strong 2018 season ended with a loss in the state quarterfinals.

8. Paul VI (29-5) LR: 8

The Panthers hope to build off of last season, when they won their first Washington Catholic Athletic Conference title since 2002. However, they will have to do it without the 2018 conference player of the year Mary Page, who transferred.

9. Colgan (24-4) LR: 9

Losing only three players, the Sharks will have much of the squad back from last year’s 24-4 finish.

10. St. John’s (24-8) LR: Not ranked

Junior outside hitter Rachel Richardson is one of six returners that will help the Cadets compete in a competitive WCAC that features Paul VI, Holy Cross and Bishop O’Connell.

Read more High School Sports coverage from the Post:

No. 9 Stone Bridge opens in midseason form, runs past Centreville, 28-14

Bell football shows it can play with the Stars in 16-14 win over Ballou

After tumultuous offseason, Bullis comes from behind to beat Carroll

A year after having to cancel its season, Park View brings back varsity football team