Virginia Tech safety Devon Hunter has been suspended indefinitely amid reports the redshirt junior was arrested this past weekend and charged with strangulation of another, a Class 6 felony, and simple assault against a family member.

Hunter was booked into Montgomery County (Va.) Jail on Sunday, was scheduled to be arraigned Monday afternoon and continues to be held without bond, according to court records. His next hearing is scheduled for Nov. 19.

In Virginia, a Class 6 felony is punishable by a maximum of five years in prison. A misdemeanor assault conviction carries a maximum of one year in jail and a $2,500 fine.

Hokies Coach Justin Fuente announced Monday morning that Hunter, a projected starter, had been suspended indefinitely for violating team rules. He declined to be more specific about the infraction during a Zoom call with local reporters, other than to say the suspension was a stunning development.

A felony triggers an automatic suspension, according to Virginia Tech’s code of conduct.

“I understand your reasons for asking,” Fuente said roughly an hour after the athletic department released a statement regarding Hunter’s suspension. “I hope you understand the reasons why I can’t reply, so we’ll have no further comment on that situation.”

Hunter had been tabbed to replace graduated Reggie Floyd at rover in a secondary that already was without former starting cornerback Caleb Farley, who opted out this season, citing concerns regarding Virginia Tech’s safety protocols and some teammates’ failure to follow them.

Hunter was among the program’s most highly regarded recruits, committing to the Hokies with the enticement of playing for legendary defensive coordinator Bud Foster. He played sparingly at whip/nickel as a sophomore before the coaching staff decided to move him back to his more natural fit at rover.

The loss of Hunter leaves redshirt senior Tyree Rodgers, who played mostly on special teams last season, and redshirt freshman J.R. Walker among potential replacements with Virginia Tech scheduled to open the season Sept. 26 against North Carolina State at Lane Stadium.

Divine Deablo, one of four team captains, is the starting free safety but also could move to rover.

The coaching staff, most notably first-year defensive coordinator Justin Hamilton, won’t have an opportunity to amend the safety rotation on the field until Wednesday at the earliest after the athletic department paused football practices because of virus-related safety concerns.

Hamilton was elevated to defensive coordinator after Foster retired at the end of last season. He coached safeties last year and retains that responsibility as defensive coordinator.

“I’m not sure yet,” Fuente said when asked about replacing Hunter. “We haven’t been together as a staff yet. We’ve been separate working on game plans and all that sort of stuff. To say that all those things will be fluid is an understatement in terms of continuing to cross-train guys and get guys ready.

“It’s a little early for me to make a call on that right now.”

Hunter’s suspension is the latest disappointing news within the locker room on the heels of the postponement of the Virginia game originally scheduled for this coming Saturday. Both schools mutually agreed to move the Commonwealth Cup showdown to a date to be determined after a spike in cases among Hokies players.

Virginia Tech initially had been scheduled to open against North Carolina State on Sept. 12 until a surge in cases within the N.C. State athletic department prompted the game to be moved to Sept. 26 at 8 p.m. The Wolfpack also paused football operations for eight days.

Virginia Tech and North Carolina State are the only schools in the ACC that have rescheduled games because of virus concerns within their football programs.

The ACC opened its season Saturday and is among three Power Five conferences playing football in the fall, with the Big Ten and Pac-12 having announced the postponement of fall sports.

“You certainly could see the disappointment in our players and in our program when the Virginia game was postponed,” Fuente said. “I know our fans were disappointed. It’s just one of those things we’re dealing with. We’re dealing with this the best way that we can.

“We’ve had it happen to us now once with N.C. State with the full understanding that knowing that the shoe could be on the other foot, and it was. We’ll do our best to move forward.”