Florida State football coach Mike Norvell tested positive for the novel coronavirus and will miss the Seminoles’ next game, the school announced Saturday.

The first-year coach said in a statement he tested positive Friday after negative tests in each of the previous two rounds this week. The ACC mandates at least three rounds of testing per week for each institution during the football season.

Norvell would be the first head coach in major college football to miss a game because of a reported positive test. Toledo’s Jason Candle and UCLA’s Chip Kelly tested positive in July and March, respectively.

“My result was surprising to me, but we have prepared for a potential positive result among anyone in our program, and we will put that plan in place while I am away,” Norvell said. “I will remain involved remotely as much as possible to help our team continue to prepare.”

Norvell, 38, added his wife and daughter tested negative but are quarantining.

Per the ACC covid-19 report, anyone within a football program who tests positive is required to isolate for 10 days, which includes Florida State’s next game Sept. 26 at Miami. The Seminoles had an open date this weekend.

Deputy head coach Chris Thomsen, also the tight ends coach, will handle in-person coaching duties for the Miami game, Norvell said.

“I am grateful to the administration, players and staff for their commitment to the protocols we have in place,” Norvell said, “which have helped us limit contact with others and allowed us to continue moving forward.”

It was unclear whether any players, assistant coaches or support staff members tested positive as well. ACC guidelines for contact tracing require anyone who has been in proximity to someone who has tested positive to quarantine for 14 days.

Florida State lost its first game of the season, 16-13, to Georgia Tech last Saturday at Doak Campbell Stadium in front of an announced 17,538.

“This is unfortunate, but luckily Coach is fine,” Florida State Athletic Director David Coburn said in a statement. “We are proceeding with our covid protocols as we would with any other case. Coach is isolated, and university tracing staff is handling the contact tracing as they normally do.”