The Kansas City Chiefs placed assistant coach Britt Reid on administrative leave Tuesday as a 5-year-old girl battles life-threatening injuries suffered in a car crash that Reid was involved in last week. Reid’s contract subsequently expired and he is no longer employed by the team.

Reid, the son of Chiefs head coach Andy Reid, told Kansas City, Mo., police he had consumed at least two drinks before getting behind the wheel and striking two cars with his pickup truck less than a half-mile from the Chiefs’ practice facility Thursday night, three days before the team’s Super Bowl matchup with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers. Neither the team nor police have offered details about Reid’s actions leading up to the crash, which injured two children seated in the back seat of one of the cars.

Kansas City police said it could take several weeks to determine whether Reid will face criminal charges for his role in the incident.

In a statement Tuesday, the Chiefs said they are “in the process of gathering more information on the incident, and we will continue to assist local authorities as requested. ... We have reached out to the family to offer our support and resources to them during this difficult time, and we will continue to pray for her recovery.”

According to updates on a GoFundMe page organized for the family, the 5-year-old girl experienced bleeding in and around her brain and has not been conscious since the crash. Police say she is in critical condition at a hospital.

“No changes in how she is doing,” read an update Tuesday afternoon. “She is still not awake. Please continue to send prayers for her to wake up and recover from this horrific crash.”

Organized by a cousin of the girl’s mother, the online campaign had raised more than $420,000 for the girl’s family as of Tuesday evening. The page was established Saturday with an initial goal of $45,000 and attracted nearly 10,000 donors in only a few days.

Kansas City police held a news conference Tuesday morning but declined to discuss specifics of the incident while the crash is under investigation.

“It is our duty and our responsibility to present a clean case file to the prosecutor,” Capt. Dave Jackson, a police spokesman, told reporters. “We want justice for this little girl, and we want the criminal justice system to work properly.”

Reid, a linebackers coach, did not travel with the Chiefs to Tampa for Sunday’s game. On Sunday night, following the Chiefs’ 31-9 loss, Andy Reid declined to discuss details surrounding the accident. “But just from a human standpoint, man, my heart bleeds for everybody involved in that,” he told reporters.

Asked Monday morning whether he had spoken with his son since the crash, the head coach said he had and confirmed that Britt Reid had undergone an unspecified surgery.

“My heart goes out to the young lady. I’m also a dad, so I get that, so I have concerns obviously on both sides,” he told reporters. “Britt did have surgery. He’s doing better now. That little girl, my heart goes out to her.”

Britt Reid, 35, was hired to join his father’s staff when Andy Reid came to Kansas City in 2013. Britt Reid previously faced a jail sentence of up to 23 months for his role in a 2007 road rage incident in which he allegedly wielded a handgun. That same year he pleaded guilty to driving under the influence and drug charges in a separate incident.

According to an application for a search warrant reviewed by the Kansas City Star, Reid told officers last week that in addition to drinking alcohol before the crash he also had a prescription for Adderall.

The accident happened shortly after 9 p.m. Thursday when Reid’s white Dodge Ram truck slammed into another vehicle parked on the side of an interstate entrance ramp and then struck another.

One of the cars, a Chevrolet Impala, had run out of gas and was stopped on the ramp. Police say the driver called cousins for help, and they soon arrived in a Chevrolet Traverse. Reid’s truck first hit the Impala and then struck the Traverse, police say. In the back of the Traverse were the two young girls, ages 4 and 5.

According to the GoFundMe page set up for the family, the 4-year-old suffered a broken nose and a concussion.

“[She] is traumatized but now at home resting and healing from her injuries,” the page read.

The 5-year-old was drifting in and out of consciousness as she was transported to the hospital, according to audio of police dispatches reviewed by the Star.

A responding officer said Reid’s eyes were “bloodshot and red,” according to the warrant application, and observed “a moderate odor of alcoholic beverages emanating” from him. The officer conducted a field sobriety test on Reid and noted “four clues of impairment.” The warrant application further states that officers ran Reid’s license and found “multiple prior DUI contacts.”

Reid complained of stomach pain at the scene and was transferred to a hospital where police collected four vials of blood, which could be used to determine his blood alcohol content and detect any controlled substances that might have been in his system.

Police explained Tuesday morning that their investigation could take several weeks as detectives dissect the crash scene, interview witnesses and await laboratory results.

“It’s a multidisciplinary approach to these types of incidents,” Sgt. Bill Mahoney said. “Different elements are performing different functions. For that reason, it’s very typical that it takes a long period of time, relative to other types of investigations.”

Julie Tate and Mark Maske contributed to this report.