WBIG-FM, the Washington Commanders’ radio partner, fired host Don Geronimo for disparaging remarks he made about a female TV anchor during a Thursday morning broadcast from the team’s training camp in Ashburn.
“After an internal review, Don Geronimo is no longer an employee of WBIG,” Aaron Hyland, iHeartMedia’s D.C. regional president, said in a statement to The Washington Post on Saturday night. “We take matters of this nature very seriously and this behavior does not align with our core values.”
A Commanders spokesperson added, “We were confident that iHeart would address this swiftly and are pleased that they did.”
Following Thursday’s comments, the Commanders prohibited Geronimo and his producer, Crash Young, from broadcasting at the team’s facility Friday. Their taped interview with new Commanders owner Josh Harris that was promoted to run Friday never aired.
“When I heard the comments made about me on their radio show, I felt incredibly insulted and embarrassed,” McBride said in a statement to The Post when asked for comment on Geronimo’s remarks. “In my 17 years as a professional journalist, I have never been disrespected in such a blatant manner while trying to do my job. Their words were sexist and misogynistic. No woman should experience this in the workplace, and I appreciate the Commanders’ swift response in handling this matter.”
Last week, Geronimo announced on social media that he re-signed with WBIG through 2026. When reached for comment Saturday, he responded via text: “Under the advice of my representatives I’ve been advised that I can not comment at this time.”
He addressed the situation on social media Sunday: “At this time I will not be providing comment on the events of the last few days. I am consulting with my advisors as to my options moving forward, including an accurate reflection of the situation.”
At this time I will not be providing comment on the events of the last few days. I am consulting with my advisors as to my options moving forward, including an accurate reflection of the situation. Thx -d.
— DonGeronimoShow (@DonGeronimoShow) July 30, 2023
Geronimo, 64, has been a notable figure in local radio for decades, known for his sports broadcasts as well as his raunchy, “guy talk” radio as half of “The Don and Mike Show” with Mike O’Meara on WJFK (106.7 FM). The show garnered a following for off-color stunts, including a nude Olympics that was shown on pay-per-view. As The Post detailed in 1998, the pair prided itself on pushing the envelope, and their act resulted in a handful of lawsuits and complaints, at least a couple of which were resolved with settlements.
In April 2022, the Commanders announced a three-year deal with iHeartMedia D.C., less than a month after parting ways with Audacy’s the Team 980 (WTEM-AM). The deal was touted as a chance to expand the team’s reach on an FM station.
Commanders game-day broadcasts air on WBIG, and additional game-day coverage is featured on the station’s website, the iHeartRadio app and programming across iHeartMedia D.C.’s other radio stations. The app also hosts archived game-day broadcasts.
“It’s an opportunity for us to have a bigger reach, to get our message out as to who we’re trying to become,” Coach Ron Rivera said on Geronimo’s show at the time the deal was announced. “We’re trying to establish a new culture and get this football team going in the right direction. It’s been a while, we need to get back on top, and just knowing we can reach so many more fans, I’m excited about it.”
Throughout the season, Rivera joined Geronimo for regular exclusive interviews. It’s unclear how the station will accommodate those interviews going forward.
Before the team’s switch to WBIG, Washington’s games aired on WTEM, the sports station founded by new Commanders limited partner Mitchell Rales and his brother, from 1992 to 1994 and again from 2008 to 2021. When the team’s agreement with WTEM expired, a Commanders spokesperson said it initiated a request for proposals and that multiple outlets — including Audacy, which also owns 106.7 the Fan in D.C. and 910 the Fan (WRNL-AM) in Richmond — submitted bids.
The Commanders were the second local pro sports franchise to partner with iHeartMedia D.C., following D.C. United in February 2022.

