A timeline of events at University of Maryland

What started as tragedy in late spring turned into a simmering controversy over the summer, then a full-blown drama by Halloween. Some key dates:

May 29: Offensive lineman Jordan McNair, 19, collapses while running sprints during a 4:15 p.m. team workout. The redshirt freshman suffers a seizure and isn’t admitted to a hospital until 6:36 p.m. There, he has a temperature of 106 degrees and is listed in critical but stable condition. He is airlifted to R. Adams Cowley Shock Trauma Center in Baltimore.

June 4: The school announces that McNair is hospitalized but does not reveal his ailment.

June 6: McNair’s family starts a Go Fund Me page and discloses that the 19-year-old received a liver transplant.

June 13: McNair dies.

June 14: The school holds a news conference, led by interim athletic director Damon Evans. Coach DJ Durkin attends and tells reporters that his “heart is broken.” Evans announces an outside firm, Walters Inc., will conduct external probe into McNair’s death.

June 20: McNair’s funeral is held. Among those in attendance are his teammates and coaches, including Durkin.

June 25: The university promotes Evans to permanent athletic director after a two-month search.

July 12: The school announces that Durkin was present during the May 29 workout.

July 16: The Jordan McNair Foundation website announces that McNair died of heatstroke.

Aug. 10: ESPN reports multiple stories on the Maryland football program, one examining the circumstances surrounding McNair’s death and another alleging a “toxic” culture.

Aug. 11: Durkin is placed on administrative leave, along with trainers Steve Nordwall and Wes Robinson. Offensive coordinator Matt Canada is named interim head coach.

Aug. 14: University President Wallace D. Loh leads a news conference, announces the school accepts “moral and legal responsibility” for McNair’s death and outlines a list of mistakes the football program made in treating McNair during the May 29 workout. The school also announces that head strength and conditioning coach Rick Court has resigned and announces the formation of an independent committee to investigate the program’s broader culture.

Aug. 16: McNair’s parents, Martin McNair and Tonya Wilson, appear on “Good Morning America.” Martin McNair says Durkin should be fired: “Yes, absolutely, he shouldn’t be able to work with anyone else’s kid.”

Aug. 17: The University System of Maryland Board of Regents assumes control of the Walters investigation into McNair’s death and the independent probe into the program’s culture.

Aug. 23: The Washington Post reports that former athletic director Kevin Anderson used athletic department funding to pay for legal representation for two football players accused of sexual assault in 2017; the case later would be examined in the independent investigation into the football program’s culture.

Sept. 1: Maryland upsets Texas in its season opener at FedEx Field, 34-29; because Durkin is on paid administrative leave, he is set to make $500,000 on this date, one-fourth the annual total of supplemental income he’s due for 2018.

Sept. 21: The University System of Maryland announces the Walters report findings in Baltimore. The report highlighted several mistakes that were made in the school’s treatment of McNair.

Sept. 30: The Post publishes a story outlining more allegations against Durkin and Court, including a letter sent to Loh’s office from an anonymous team parent in 2016 that raised concerns of abuse within the program.

Oct. 6: Rick Jaklitsch, a former president of the Terrapin Club, is booted from the football team’s trip to Michigan after he makes controversial comments about McNair’s death.

Oct. 19: Regents meet to hear the independent commission’s findings and announce they will release report within a week of their next meeting Oct. 23.

Oct. 23: The board meets for a second time to discuss report.

Oct. 25: The Post obtains and publishes the commission’s 192-page report, which declares “the Maryland football team did not have a ‘toxic culture’ ” but did have a culture “where problems festered because too many players feared speaking out.”

Oct. 26: The board meets in Baltimore with Loh, Evans and Durkin; the board votes to reinstate Durkin in a closed session.

Oct. 29: Loh, Evans and Durkin are scheduled to meet with the board, but those meetings are canceled. The board calls a 5 p.m. meeting to discuss a “clarification” on the commission’s findings, according to regent Barry Gossett.

Oct. 30: After the board recommends that Loh retain Durkin, the president announces that Durkin is reinstated. He returns to practice after 80 days on administrative leave. Evans is also informed that he will be retained. Loh announces that he will retire in June.

Oct. 31: Within an hour after Maryland Gov. Larry Hogan joins a chorus of politicians, stakeholders, media members and students who voiced opposition to Durkin’s return, Durkin is informed by Evans that he has been fired shortly after practice in College Park.

— Roman Stubbs