On the night the fourth-ranked Maryland men’s lacrosse team celebrated its long history, a chance to add a chapter fell by the wayside in a 12-11 overtime loss to No. 3 Johns Hopkins before 8,072 at Byrd Stadium on Saturday.

The Terrapins (8-3) have not beaten the Blue Jays (9-2) in overtime since the 1973 national title game. In overtime on Saturday, Maryland had two shots from inside five yards. The first, from junior Joe Cummings, deflected off the inside of the goal post and bounced away. The second came from classmate Jake Bernhardt; it was saved by sophomore goalie Pierce Bassett, and the Blue Jays had the ball.

As a Maryland penalty was ending, Johns Hopkins senior Kyle Wharton got the ball on the wing and faked a shot. His defender slipped trying to block the shot. That gave Wharton time and space, and he rocketed a high shot past sophomore goalie Niko Amato with 16 seconds left.

“We went in at halftime and I told our guys I didn’t think they were playing with any heart,” Johns Hopkins Coach Dave Pietramala said. “In the second half we played with the heart that we are capable of. But this game could have gone either way.”

Said Cummings of the overtime play: “I got open and Ryan [Young] made an awesome feed, like he does all the time. I just hit the pipe. . . . And they made a good play in overtime.”

The Blue Jays trailed 7-2 at halftime, when Maryland honored several notable former players and played a video montage, but Johns Hopkins came back thanks to the progeny of a former Maryland standout. Fifth-year senior Chris Boland, whose father played on the 1973 NCAA title team at Maryland, scored five goals. All came after the Blue Jays trailed 7-2; his final one came in transition and gave the Blue Jays an 11-9 lead with 5 minutes 43 seconds to play.

Goals from Young and Cummings sent the game to overtime.

Earlier, the Terrapins took advantage of Johns Hopkins mistakes. They scored four straight goals on plays where they were defended by Hopkins offensive midfielders who didn’t get out of the game for substitutions.

Late in the third quarter, Maryland led 8-5 and again had Hopkins with three offensive midfielders playing defense. But a shot from sophomore Kevin Cooper was saved by Bassett. Boland scored his second goal soon after and the comeback had begun.

l  ARMY 14, NAVY 9: Before 8,059 in Annapolis, the Black Knights (8-4, 3-2 Patriot League) won their third consecutive game in the series, their longest winning streak against the Midshipmen (4-8, 2-4) since 1950-52.

To have a realistic chance of making the conference tournament, Navy had to beat Army by at least four. And Navy led 7-3 after a goal by junior Nikk Davis with 2:33 left in the first half.

The Midshipmen turned over the ball with 1:14 to play. With the clock under 20 seconds and Navy seemingly in good position defensively, Army junior Devin Lynch raced from the end line, leaped in the air as he approached the goal and scored.

Navy’s coaches thought Lynch had been in the crease when he leaped, which should have nullified the goal. The shot itself appeared to be a “dive,” which also is illegal. But the goal stood with 11 seconds left.

Navy won the faceoff to start the second half and freshman Sam Jones, the team’s leading goal scorer, had a point-blank shot. The shot was saved by senior goalie Tom Palesky. Army gained possession and Lynch scored to cut the deficit to 7-5. For the rest of the quarter, Army made 5 of 8 shots. Navy went 1 for 12.

For the game, Army senior Jeremy Boltus had four goals and three assists and sophomore Garrett Thul added five goals.

Navy senior Andy Warner finished with two assists and played midfield on 24 of the team’s 26 settled possessions. But his day was symbolized by the final seconds. As the clock wound down, Warner found Palesky and shook his hand. No sooner had he finished than the game ended and Warner was engulfed by joyous Army players racing to congratulate Palesky.

l DUKE 13, VIRGINIA 11: Robert Rotanz scored four second-half goals as the host Blue Devils (10-4, 3-0 ACC) continued their mastery of the Cavaliers (8-4, 1-2). Duke has won nine of 10 against Virginia, which was without its leading scorer, junior Steele Stanwick. He watched from the sideline with an apparent foot injury.

l  GEORGETOWN-LOYOLA RESCHEDULED: The start of the Hoyas’ game against the Greyhounds at Multi-Sport Field was moved to Sunday at 3 p.m. because of severe weather in the Washington area.