For the second year in a row, Georgetown senior Jeff Fountain scored the winning goal in overtime against Navy in men’s lacrosse. But the similarities between last season’s game and the Hoyas’ 9-8 win on Saturday in the snow at Navy-Marine Corps Memorial Stadium end there.

On Saturday, Fountain’s goal came with the Hoyas in a stall warning, also known as a “timer on” situation. Georgetown (2-0) won the opening faceoff in overtime. The stall warning came soon after. The Hoyas had 30 seconds either to score or put a shot on goal; failure to do so would result in a turnover.

Afterward, it was uncertain when the “timer on” call was made. But both a video replay and the official box score indicated the referees did so with 2 minutes 42 seconds left in overtime, meaning the Hoyas should have turned over the ball with 2:12 left.

Fountain’s goal came with 2:08 remaining.

The Hoyas’ coaches knew time was short because, anticipating the turnover, they took out offensive midfielder Devon Lewis and inserted a longstick defensive midfielder as Fountain began his run to the goal.

Essentially, Fountain scored in a five-on-six situation.

“I found out afterward we were subbing so I wasn’t supposed to go to the goal,” Fountain said. “But I saw a little opportunity and took a shot.”

Said Navy Coach Rick Sowell: “At one point [the referees] told us two seconds. And then they said seven seconds. There you go. . . . Game over, you can’t go back.”

Saturday marked the eighth consecutive meeting between Georgetown and Navy, dating from 2006, that was decided by one or two goals. Fountain’s goal last season also gave the Hoyas a 9-8 victory.

Saturday’s game initially didn’t look to be headed for such a tight finish. The Hoyas took a 7-3 lead on a goal by junior Charles McCormick late in the third quarter, then led 8-6 on a goal by Fountain with 7:04 left in regulation.

Navy’s comeback came from an unlikely source. Sophomore T.J. Hanzsche had made 2 of 19 shots this season up to that point, but he made two in a row Saturday, the second of which came in transition and with Navy a man-down while serving a penalty. It tied the score at 8 with 53 seconds to play.

Hanzsche clearly had the hot hand — he scored three goals in less than nine minutes in the fourth quarter — but he did not have a chance to add to his total thanks to a pair of faceoff wins by Knarr, one to end regulation and one in overtime. Hanzsche’s goal with 53 seconds left was Navy’s final shot.

Fountain, McCormick and freshman Peter Conley each scored two goals for the Hoyas and redshirt junior goalie Jake Haley added 15 saves. Meantime, in the second half and overtime, Knarr won 8 of 10 faceoffs.

Senior Sam Jones and Hanzsche scored three goals each for the Midshipmen and sophomore John Connors added 17 saves. But it wasn’t enough to give Navy (1-1) its first win in the series since 2009.

“It seems like Georgetown has Navy’s number,” Sowell said. “Sooner or later it has to change. . . . I like to think if we can continue playing like this there will be some success. I think there’s a lot more wins if we keep this up.”

Said Georgetown Coach Kevin Warne, “We might redshirt Jeff Fountain right now and bring him back to face Navy next year.”

●MARYLAND 14, UMBC 3: Freshman Matt Rambo scored three goals and senior Mike Chanenchuk added two goals and three assists for the Terrapins (2-0) in College Park. Freshman Connor Gordon made 15 saves for the Retrievers (0-1).