The NFL logo is shown at mid field prior to an NFL preseason football game between the Denver Broncos and the Arizona Cardinals, Thursday, Aug. 31, 2017, in Denver. (AP Photo/Jack Dempsey)

Nine months after a settlement in the massive concussion litigation involving the NFL and former football players went into effect, attorneys representing hundreds of former players are concerned that their clients’ claims aren’t being granted in a timely manner and settlement money isn’t reaching the players who need it most.

The lawyers, many of whom say they have been shut out of the process, contend their clients’ claims are being unnecessarily denied or audited. Steve Yerrid, a high-profile attorney from Tampa, filed a brief with the court last week asking to “present evidence showing that no (or very few) claims have been paid to any former player.”

Yerrid’s group represents more than 300 former players. He said in an interview Monday that none has had a claim granted thus far, even though some filed their claims six months ago.

“They have not seen one penny,” he said.

The settlement between the former players and the NFL was struck last year and called for the league to pay out as much as $1 billion to former players who suffer from neurocognitive disorders related to their playing careers. It’s not clear how many claims have been made or how many have received monetary awards. The last public acknowledgement of any approved claims came in June when a court filing revealed the first two rewards: a $5 million payment to a former player suffering from ALS and $4 million to the estate of a player who suffered from chronic traumatic encephalopathy (CTE). A person familiar with the case confirmed reports that suggest about $100 million has been approved thus far, though no other specifics were available.

“We continue to be encouraged by the response from retired players and their families to the settlement, and are pleased that its vital benefits — including monetary payments — are now available,” attorney Christopher Seeger, the co-lead counsel representing the class of more than 20,000 former NFL players, said in a statement.

On Tuesday, U.S. District Judge Anita Brody will preside over the first hearing in the case in more than six months. At the hearing, she is expected to learn more about “deceptive practices” by lenders, claims service providers and attorneys who have been accused of preying on the former players. She will hear from Seeger but is not scheduled to hear from the many lawyers who say their clients have struggled to receive any form of compensation.

Seeger will likely highlight entities that have sought to take advantage of the ex-players, in some cases charging exorbitant fees to guide them through the claims process. In a recent court motion, Seeger pinpointed at least one Florida-based attorney for making “serious misrepresentations about the settlement program” to a former player.

“Retired NFL players and their families should proceed cautiously if they receive any solicitation for services related to the concussion settlement,” Seeger said in a statement. “Our investigation to-date has uncovered practices that are predatory and potentially illegal. We appreciate Judge Brody’s swift action on this issue, and will continue to present our findings and ask for any necessary relief to ensure class members receive these important and hard-earned benefits.”

As many as a dozen lawyers are expected in the court room Tuesday in Philadelphia, even though the scope of the hearing is somewhat limited. In court filings and interviews, many say they are discouraged by what they have seen so far: a laborious claims process that serves as yet another obstacle for athletes who are struggling and in desperate need.

Patrick Tighe, a Palm Beach, Fla., attorney, told the court in a recent filing that the claims administrator, BrownGreer PLC, does not appear to be adhering to the strict guidelines set out in the settlement agreement, making it more difficult for former players to submit a qualifying claim.

“[The] Settlement Agreement has not been implemented the way it is written or the way the Court approved it,” he wrote to the court.

Tighe has more than 90 clients involved in the litigation and has submitted claims thus far on behalf of 35. He said in an interview that 22 of those claims were ruled deficient, one was flagged for auditing and the claims administrator hasn't told him where the other 12 are in the pipeline.

"It's all about the players," he said. "We want to make sure they get paid and are in position to get paid."

Yerrid, a high-profile litigator who made his mark taking on companies like BP, Philip Morris, R.J. Reynolds and other cigarette companies, requested time to address the court on Tuesday, though only Seeger is expected to speak. In his filing last week, Yerrid tried to impress on the court the urgency of the ex-players' concerns, pointing out in his filing that one client, John Reaves, who played quarterback in the NFL for 11 seasons, died last month at age 67, "while waiting for his claim to be reviewed."

“People with brain damage only get worse,” he said Monday. “They don’t get better at that age. So time is of the essence. So my question is, what are these players being paid? The PR has gone out — oh, they got this big settlement. . . . It looks like to the public these players are getting millions of dollars.

“Look, first of all, their conditions — they deserve every damn penny. And secondly, they deserve it now.”