Georgetown men’s lacrosse coach Dave Urick has retired and will take a job in the athletic department, the school announced Friday.

Urick coached 23 seasons at Georgetown; his teams went 223-99, did not have a losing season and made 11 straight NCAA tournaments from 1997 to 2007. In 1999, the Hoyas made their only appearance in the NCAA Final Four.

The Hoyas were ranked No. 1 in the country during the 2003 and 2007 seasons.

Urick, a member of the sport’s Hall of Fame, will remain at Georgetown as a special assistant to Athletic Director Lee Reed.

His retirement was first reported Friday by Lacrosse Magazine Online.

“It was a long run, that’s for sure,” Urick said when reached by telephone Friday. “It seemed like the right time. There are many aspects of the job I know I’ll miss, interacting with the student-athletes, working with players at practice and at games. But there are parts of it, like any other job, that aren’t nearly as rewarding. I didn’t really look forward to recruiting, it’s taken on a life of its own and in my opinion has gone in an unfortunate direction.”

An open search for Urick’s successor will begin immediately. Urick said he expected both current assistants, Matt Kerwick and Scott Urick (Dave Urick’s son), to apply for the job “and I hope they give both those guys a long, hard look,” he said.

Urick first announced his decision on Friday in an e-mail to former and current players and parents. In the e-mail, a copy of which was obtained by The Washington Post, Urick said he will help raising money for a new men’s lacrosse locker room and a new intercollegiate athletic center.

The Hoyas went 7-6 this past season and missed the NCAA tournament for the fifth consecutive year.

Before arriving at Georgetown, Urick, 64, coached at Hobart from 1980 to ’89. In those 10 seasons, the Statesmen won 10 Division III national titles.

“Dave Urick has been a great ambassador for Georgetown University and he has guided our men’s lacrosse program to the top of the sport nationally,” Reed said in a statement released by the school. “He is an icon in the sport and his legacy on the Hilltop will last for years to come.”

The Hoyas had not had a winning season in Division I lacrosse when Urick arrived. They did not have full-time assistants, were forced to practice late at night in the student field house when it snowed and his first office measured roughly 6 feet by 6 feet.

“It took a little while to transition” from Hobart, Urick said. “When we arrived, there wasn’t much in place in terms of funding or commitment. That was all part of the big plan, and it took some patience. . . . We wanted a program that was going to compete at the highest level. And those goals haven’t changed.”