Two plays removed from a 50-yard touchdown run, Seneca Valley junior James Jones-Williams summoned enough energy for his loudest cheer as teammate Nicoy Davis streaked toward the end zone on a 58-yard fumble return in the second quarter of Friday night’s 32-6 win against Churchill.

On a night when Jones-Williams and his teammates expected a slugfest in a nonleague matchup of Montgomery unbeatens, Davis’s touchdown proved an unexpected counterpunch. Jones-Williams rushed for 188 yards and scored two second-quarter touchdowns and Davis had 2.5 sacks and the fumble return score as the Screaming Eagles cruised to their sixth win in seven seasons against the Bulldogs.

“We knew [Davis] had to set the momentum for our defense — that’s a big boy,” Jones-Williams said. “We have to rally off our defense, and he made it easy to do that.”

The Screaming Eagles (4-0) came into the game worried about Churchill’s big-play potential, but they brought enough pressure to keep quarterback Lansana Keita from finding downfield targets. Seneca Valley — which has not allowed more than one touchdown in any game this season — came up with three sacks and forced three turnovers.

Buoyed by its defense, the home team took control with a 25-point second-quarter surge that included three touchdowns in less than four minutes of game action.

“I didn’t think it was going to be like that at all,” Seneca Valley Coach Fred Kim said. “We were very concerned, but our kids rose to the challenge. I’m very proud of them.”

Jones-Williams — who has topped the 100-yard rushing mark in each of his team’s first four contests — started the scoring, taking a swing pass from senior Tanner Vallely 16 yards for a touchdown. On the first play after a Churchill punt, Jones-Williams squeezed through the middle of the defense for a 50-yard score.

Two snaps later, Tre Cunningham forced a fumble and Davis took it to the end zone for an 18-0 lead. Even after Churchill (3-1) scored its lone touchdown of the game minutes later, the Screaming Eagles came back with a three-play, 60-yard touchdown drive to close the half.

The quarter helped Seneca Valley ensure it will participate in another battle of unbeatens next week when it travels to No. 3 Quince Orchard.

“It felt really good to put it all together,” Davis said. “Before (the second quarter), we were getting on the offense telling them to pick it up, and (the defense) had a lot of little mistakes to correct, and we came out and executed everything.”