Sidwell Friends senior Nick Jackson took a year off from school as a freshman to compete for the semi-professional West Ham Academy in England, serving as the team’s goalie.

With the Quakers knotted up after regulation and overtime in Saturday’s D.C. State Athletic Association boys’ soccer championship at Georgetown, Jackson was thrown into his familiar spot between the posts to secure the win against St. Albans.

Jackson – who played midfielder the entire championship match — stopped two penalty shots in the Quakers’ 1-1 (4-2) win over St. Albans for their first DCSAA soccer title. But Jackson delivered with his foot too.

After his two stops gave the Quakers a 3-2 advantage, he delivered the game-winning kick that sealed the win vs. the defending champion Bulldogs.

“This right here is what we wanted for our fans,” Jackson said as he pointed to the Sidwell contingent that stormed the field in hysteria after his goal. “We appreciate them so much for coming out and supporting us. They’ve had our back all season long, they’ve been behind us. We just play for them.”

Sidwell took a 1-0 lead off a Justin Lobe header after St. Albans’s back line failed to clear Marc Geschwind’s corner kick in the 13th minute.

The Quakers played strong defense for the remainder of the half, but St. Albans eventually found an opening in the 61st minute. After spending most of the second half on the Sidwell side of the field, Nick Nataro headed in a corner directly off Jabari Wilson’s foot.

For Sidwell, the win capped a season in which it won the Mid-Atlantic Conference regular season and tournament titles and evened the score against the Bulldogs after losing to St. Albans on Sept. 17.

Late scores lift Eagles

National Cathedral and Sidwell Friends both relied on stellar goalie play in Saturday’s DCSAA girls’ final, as the Quakers’ Stephanie Everett and the Eagles’ Erica Sanders made spectacular saves in a scoreless duel that lasted until late in the match.

The Eagles found the back of the net twice in the final 10 minutes to claim a second straight DCSAA title over their Independent School League foes, 2-0. Last week, National Cathedral won its second straight ISL AA title.

“We came out with high hopes, but we had a few ties we didn’t expect,” junior Marta Sniezek said. “We bounced back from that, and I think we deserved to win. I’m glad we did.”

With eight minutes left in the game, Sidwell was whistled for a foul as Kennedy Jones was entering the penalty box. Junior Hannah Menard took the penalty shot, chipping it in on the right side to break the tie.

Less than six minutes later, Sniezek slid behind two Quakers defenders and found herself one-on-one with the goalie. She gave the ball one extra touch and booted it in to put the game out of reach.

“I was thinking, ‘don’t butcher [it],’ ” Sniezek said. “I just stayed composed and knocked it in for the seniors. They deserved it.”