We’ll have stories, photo galleries, videos and box scores from games around the area later tonight. But for now we offer you an early look at some notable games and scores. Know of something significant that happened tonight? We’d love to hear from you in the comments. Scroll to the bottom of this article for scores.
● DeMATHA PREVAILS: The top-ranked Stags rallied from a 14-0 deficit to beat Washington Catholic Athletic Conference rival Gonzaga, 31-21, at Prince George’s Sports & Learning Complex.
“Coach gave us a great speech [at halftime]. We got momentum. We always come out in then second half and fight to the end,” Stags running back Taiwan Deal said in a postgame interview on DMVStream.com.
Cameron Phillips caught a 49-yard touchdown for DeMatha and Jabari Greenwood caught a 38-yard touchdown for No. 8 Gonzaga.
We’ll have a game story, photo gallery and video highlights on our site later tonight.
● RIVER HILL LOSES: The fifth-ranked Hawks lost to Hammond, 47-38, to snap their 30-game winning streak. We’ll have more on the game later tonight.
● LAKE BRADDOCK ROLLS: The fourth-ranked Bruins beat West Springfield, 51-0, to earn their fourth straight shutout. Lake Braddock has scored 227 unanswered points.
● WHITMAN GETS BEST OF SPRINGBROOK: Zac Morton rushed for 101 yards and three first-half touchdowns, and the Vikings capitalized on five Blue Devil turnovers to cruise to a 28-13 nonleague win in Silver Spring.
Whitman(4-3) used three turnovers to set up touchdowns in the first half, including an interception from Morton on the first offensive play of the night for Springbrook (3-4). On the ensuing play, Morton ran untouched for a 17-yard touchdown to make it 7-0 — and the Vikings cashed in on two turnovers late in the first half to set the tone in a game that was never close.
Junior wide receiver Nolan Hanessian picked off a Springbrook pass with about three minutes remaining in the second quarter, then caught a 30-yard touchdown pass from junior quarterback Evan Smith two plays later to push the score to 21-0. After the Blue Devils coughed up a fumble on the ensuing possession, Morton scored his third touchdown of the night — a one-yard burst as the second quarter clock expired.
Springbrook rallied in the third quarter, as Trashawn Harris returned the opening kickoff of the second half 95 yards for a score. The Blue Devils inched closer late in the third quarter after junior quarterback Neiman Blain hit Baki Akbar for a 50-yard reception to set up a one-yard rushing touchdown from junior running back Tyler Stewart. But Springbrook stalled on three consecutive drives after that point, and Whitman’s physical rushing game grinded down the clock.
Smith finished with 123 yards passing and one touchdown, and senior wide receiver Nick Newsham caught three passes for 82 yards. Blaine led Springbrook with 105 total yards, but the Blue Devils registered just 47 total yards rushing.
● BRIAR WOODS ROLLS:: The Falcons shut out Broad Run, 34-0. We’ll have a full game story later tonight. For now check out Joey LoMonaco’s tweets.
FRIDAY’S SCORES (more to come here)
Arundel 52, South River 33
Bladensburg 24, High Point 18
Clarksburg 21, Bethesda-Chevy Chase 19
Damascus 43, Rockville 8
Einstein 22, Wheaton 15
Gaithersburg 40, Magruder 6
Hammond 47, River Hill 38
Howard 29, Centennial 26
Huntingtown 31, Great Mills 0
Kennedy 13, Blake 0
McDonough 34, La Plata 14
Northwest 39, Wootton 17
Paint Branch 35, Blair 0
Patuxent 28, Lackey 20
Quince Orchard 42, Sherwood 7
Richard Montgomery 34, Churchill 0
Whitman 28, Springbrook 13
Briar Woods 34, Broad Run 0
Centreville 42, Oakton 21
Champe 19, Freedom-South Riding 17
Chantilly 56, Herndon 40
Fairfax 45, McLean 20
Falls Church 42, Mount Vernon 17
Forest Park 31, Freedom-Woodbridge 7
Hayfield 47, Stuart 0
Jefferson 24, Madison 21
Langley 56, South Lakes 33
Loudoun County 31, Woodgrove 28
Loudoun Valley 24, Dominion 7
Park View 17, Heritage 14
Stone Bridge 56, Marshall 7
Westfield 14, Robinson 13
Yorktown 44, Wakefield 13
Bullis 47, St. Albans 0
DeMatha 31, Gonzaga 21
Gilman 29, Spalding 21
Good Counsel 49, Carroll 0
Maret 45, Fairfax Christian 7
St. Paul's 10, Severn 6