It took Broadneck senior Aislinn Probst all of 11 seconds to set the tone for Saturday’s Maryland 4A/3A semifinal against Catonsville.

The Naval Academy-bound midfielder won the opening draw and sprinted down the left side of the field. Probst pulled up and fired a low shot past her defender and the Catonsville goalie to put Broadneck on top, and with that, the Bruins were off and running.

Broadneck scored early and often in its 15-5 win over Catonsville, building a lead that grew as large as eight in the first half. For a Bruins team that struggled earlier this year with sluggish starts, the offensive outburst was a welcome and somewhat surprising sign in the season’s penultimate game.

“We don’t even know our own potential sometimes,” Probst said. “We were preparing, and we were expecting a really hard team. We just got out a little faster.”

While Probst put the Bruins on the board early, it was teammate Ellie McNulty who did the bulk of the heavy lifting for the Broadneck offense, scoring seven goals and dishing out an assist in the victory. Senior Becky Meyer added three goals of her own for the Bruins.

The win capped a jam-packed week for Broadneck, which beat Anne Arundel County rival South River by one in the 4A/3A East Region title game on Wednesday and then celebrated its senior prom Friday night.

“Going into prom, we knew we’d have to make some sacrifices,” Probst said. “We’ve been working way longer to win a state championship, so we were all on the same page. It was a necessary sacrifice, to win states.”

Bulldogs fall to Westminster again

The Churchill boys seemed ready for Westminster through the first half of their 4A/3A semifinal, matching the Owls goal for goal and run for run.

Then came halftime, after which things got ugly in a hurry for Churchill. Westminster emerged from the intermission white-hot and rolled the Bulldogs in the second half, ending Churchill’s season for the second straight season, this time with a 23-9 victory. The Owls outscored the Bulldogs 14-1 in the second half, including a stretch of 11 straight that put the game out of reach for Churchill (15-2).

“It just [stunk],” Churchill senior Matt Leonard said. “You just watch it happen, you can’t really do anything about it. We didn’t really have the rebound, we didn’t really have an answer.”

The Bulldogs and Owls were deadlocked at five after the first quarter and Churchill trailed 9-8 at the half. But while the Westminster offense fired on all cylinders after halftime, the Bulldogs’ attack sputtered without sophomore Louis Dubick, who left the game early in the second quarter with an ankle injury and didn’t return. Churchill Coach Jeff Fritz later confirmed that Dubick broke his ankle during the game.

Without Dubick, who leads the area in assists and is third in goals, the Westminster defense keyed on Leonard, the region’s top scorer. After finding the back of the net six times in the first half, Leonard was held scoreless after halftime.

“We tried taking a timeout to slow things down. We switched up defenses to slow things down. We could not get momentum back in any way,” Fritz said. “Nothing helped today.