The top-ranked Good Counsel girls’ soccer team honored its decorated senior class before Tuesday’s showdown against No. 2 O’Connell in Olney. The celebration had barely ended before the Falcons found themselves trailing, 2-0, and requiring all the experience they could muster to forge a 2-2 tie.

The Knights (9-2-1 overall, 6-1-1 Washington Catholic Athletic Conference) stunned the home crowd, scoring two goals in the game’s first four minutes. Stephanie Page opened the scoring barely two minutes in, placing a perfect left-footed shot into the far upper corner. Two minutes later, Lauren Harkes doubled the advantage with a header.

“I have to give them a lot of credit. They were pumped. They came out hard," said Good Counsel’s Imani Dorsey, one of the seniors honored before the game. “We just needed time to click. [The deficit] made us play better.”

The Falcons (10-1-6, 6-0-2) found their footing, and 10 minutes later cut the margin in half when Michigan-bound forward Courtney Parr drove her first touch off a corner feed from fellow senior Karli Cirovski in to make it 2-1.

“This game was super emotional going into it because we're all thinking about how we’re gone, this could be one of the last times we play with the team,” Parr said. “It might have made us lose focus a little bit.”

The Falcons, who were missing key seniors Saturday in a 3-0 loss to No. 5 Whitman, were 13 minutes from the first back-to-back defeats of their seniors’ careers when a freshman delivered a play that brought them the equalizer.

Dana Reed carried the ball through midfield and set up Dorsey, who first found space, then found the back of the net to tie.

“That comeback was huge. It meant a lot, especially on my senior night. To come back and score those two goals was big,” Parr said.

The tie leaves unfinished business between the rivals, who will likely meet again in the WCAC playoffs.

“I can’t wait to play them again,” Parr said. “I hope this time we come out strong, maybe we’ll pop in two right away.”