Sammy Sergi’s second goal was tougher than his first. When it was all over Saturday, Broad Run Coach Jonathan Hicks called it the “nail in the coffin.”

In the 62nd minute of a Virginia 5A semifinal against Hickory, Sergi received a pass from fellow junior Karim Zebdi, delivered a forearm shiver that spurned a crashing defender and buried a ball in the left side of the goal from 15 yards out.

The strike padded Broad Run’s lead as the Spartans cruised to a 4-0 victory in Burke to earn a spot in Sunday’s title game against Albemarle.

“I saw the guy coming on me, so I put my foot forward, made sure he didn’t get the ball and then I just gave a little shove off and put it in the side corner,” Sergi said.

“I want to win so bad with this team. We’ve worked so hard.”

Broad Run's Joey DiTommaso, left, celebrates teammate Sammy Sergi's second goal of the game as Broad Run defeats Hickory 4-0 in the Virginia 5A boys’ soccer semifinals at Lake Braddock. (John McDonnell/The Washington Post)

Broad Run had failed to advance to a state final in four previous semifinal appearances. Albemarle, which advanced with a 4-3 win over Mills Godwin, fell to Broad Run, 4-2, in the 5A North region final. Sunday’s final will be played at Robinson.

Sergi first ignited his team against Hickory when he dented the net less than three minutes into the contest. After fielding a long cross in front of the goal, Sergi scored, thrust his arms to the sky and ran across the purple-painted end zone at Lake Braddock.

About six minutes later, senior midfielder JP Reategui won a ball and threaded Broad Run’s second goal through a crowded field in the box. Gabriel Molina scored a header in the 75th minute for the final tally.

“Scoring early is what our coach always tells us,” Sergi said. “We need to get that early goal and keep pushing throughout the game.”

Broad Run (20-1-1) dictated the pace throughout he first half, maintaining possession in Hickory’s half of the field thanks to fluid ball movement and stout play in the midfield.

The Hawks proved more aggressive in the final 40 minutes, but Spartans goalkeeper Andrew Davies dove, tumbled and punched to refute every shot on goal.

Hickory launched several inbounds passes in Davies’s vicinity, but the goalkeeper said his confidence in his teammates kept him cool.

“I know where my defenders are going to be,” Davies said. “So I just know where the balls are going to come through.”

Davies fell to the turf wailing after a collision with a Hawks attacker in the final seven seconds. He said the confrontation inflamed an ankle injury he suffered in the region tournament, but he was not worried about his status for Sunday’s championship match.

“The whole time it just hurts, but I’ll be getting through it,” he said. “Only one more game.”