Sherwood players watch the action unfold during the Warriors' win at Northwest on a rainy night in Germantown. (Callie Caplan/For The Washington Post)

Sherwood fullback Nick Comeau saw an opening in Northwest’s defense, and he sprinted as fast as he could ever remember moving.

With about one minute left in the Warriors’ game Friday night, the 5-foot-9, 215-pound senior hit the gap and powered 36 yards into the end zone.

“I just saw a bunch of green grass, and I was going,” Comeau said. “My mind was thinking ‘We’re going to win. We’re going to win.’ ”

His burst capped the scoring in the No. 11 Warriors’ 28-13 win against the Jaguars, and as Comeau stood in the middle of the field in Germantown after listening to Coach Chris Grier compliment the Warriors’ gritty effort, he had one message for Northwest: “Homecoming ruined.”

Sherwood (5-0) came into the night averaging 44.5 points per game. Northwest (3-2) stifled the bruising attack in the first half and entered the intermission trailing, 14-13. But the Warriors took advantage of the team’s miscues in the second half to improve to 8-0 all-time against the Jaguars.

Coach Chris Grier called for the Warriors to improve their tackling. If his squad could do that and eliminate long gains from Jaguars rushers Khalil Owens and Juwon Farri, Grier thought his team had a good chance of extending its unbeaten streak.

 “We wanted a dogfight and wanted to show our dominance,” Sherwood seniorrunning back Travis Levy said. “Let the county know who we are.”

Levy, a Boston College commit, entered the matchup averaging 180 rushing yards per game, including 178 yards and four touchdowns last week against Springbrook. But he and the offense struggled to generate momentum against the Jaguars’ front seven.

Grier admitted after the game he knew Northwest, the 2013 and 2014 Maryland 4A state champions, would pose a problem with their defensive front, but he wanted his team to stay patient as neither team scored in the third quarter.

The composure paid off with about four minutes left in the rain-soaked contest. 

The Jaguars had issues with their snaps throughout the game, as the ball was slick and they operated mainly out of the shotgun. With the final minutes ticking off the clock, the team bobbled an exchange and it rolled into the Warriors’ end zone.

As safety Dmitiru Guynn lunged for the ball, he saw Jaguars quarterback Chris Craddock shy away from the oncoming collision. Then he pounced on it to extend the Warriors’ lead to 21-13.

 “I didn’t know if the ref was going to give it to me because you know how refs can be,” Guynn said. “But I grabbed on to it, held on to it and stood up.”

The Warriors logged an interception on the Jaguars’ next possession and turned to their running game to milk the rest of the clock. That’s when Comeau broke through the line of scrimmage and sparked a celebration on the team’s sideline.

When Levy saw him rush through the first line of the defense, he let out an “Oh!” before skipping down the sideline in his mud-stained uniform to congratulate his teammate.

 “I like to think our team is calm, cool and collected,” Levy said. “We just come out here, and we execute.”