A year ago, Langley’s Sean Ahearn played the hero when he scored in overtime against Salem to move the Saxons into the Virginia state boys’ lacrosse semifinals — the first step toward the team’s repeat title. When the junior attackman had the chance again on Friday in a state quarterfinal at Battlefield, he had no problem reprising the role.

Ahearn took a pass from junior defenseman Chandler Suk in transition and scored the game-winning goal in double overtime to give Langley a 6-5 victory. The Saxons (17-3) advance to play the winner of Saturday’s Annandale-E.C. Glass matchup on Wednesday at Westfield.

“It was just flashbacks in my head the whole time,” Ahearn said of the final sequence. “When I saw Chandler coming down, I just re-ran that whole sequence and hoped it could happen again.”

Ahearn’s goal helped the Saxons survive a gritty effort by Battlefield (16-3) to complete an improbable comeback win. The Bobcats rallied from a three-goal, first-half deficit to spark a back-and-forth second half and then sent it into overtime on sophomore Michael Hanlon’s tying goal with 14 seconds left in regulation.

The dramatic final minutes of regulation included a play on which Battlefield senior defenseman Ty Trobridge forced a turnover to give his team a crucial late possession, while being injured. Trobridge — the Cedar Run District Player of the Year — fell to the ground in pain with an apparent leg injury after the play, had to be helped off and spent the rest of the game sitting on the bench.

Both teams had plenty of opportunities down the stretch of regulation and in overtime with Langley goalie Andrew Spivey (12 saves) and Battlefield goalie Connor Mullins (12 saves) matching each other point-blank-stop for stop.

At one point in the first overtime, Battlefield’s fans and some of its players erupted when they thought the Bobcats had won, but a shot that appeared to beat Spivey actually lodged in the outside of the net. The back-and-forth continued in the extra time until Ahearn, who had a goal and an assist, had his chance to get off a clean look “This wasn’t quite our best tonight, but we picked it up at the end when it counts,” Spivey said. “I’m looking forward to rolling forward to state semis and kicking some [butt].” . . .

No. 10 Chantilly beat Patrick Henry-Roanoke, 15-9, in its quarterfinal. The Chargers (20-1) will face Albemarle, which beat Briar Woods 9-7, in the state semifinals on Wednesday at Westfield.

The Falcons (16-5), who were making their first-ever state tournament appearance, led 6-4 through three quarters, but Albemarle scored the game’s next four goals and held on for the win. Justin Little, Connor Cashman and Kevin Cuellar each scored two goals for Briar Woods.

Chantilly girls advance

With an eight-day break between the Chantilly girls’ Northern Region consolation win against Langley and their state tournament opener Friday at Battlefield, Coach Tina Plaugher sensed her team needed rest more than training.

The No. 5 Chargers certainly seemed to appreciate the four days off from practice. They scored the first seven goals in their 15-3 romp over the Bobcats. Chantilly advances to play the winner of Saturday’s Oakton-Western Albemarle quarterfinal on Tuesday at Westfield.

“We’ve been more of a second-half team all year,” said senior Kacey Norwood, who finished with a game-high six goals. “We really get pumped up when we score the first goals, so that’s what we were focusing on. We came out so intense and so ready for this game.”

Norwood, junior Kylie Chaplin and junior Shannon Strittmatter led the attack for Chantilly (19-2), combining for 12 goals and seven assists. Senior Morgan Clark scored all three goals for Battlefield (14-5). . . .

Maddi Sarnecki scored off a feed from Aidan Priest with 1 minute 41 seconds to play, giving Osbourn Park a 10-9 win over Woodgrove. Sarnecki scored three goals for the Yellow Jackets (16-3), who advance to the semifinals for the first time in school history. They will face No. 10 Madison, 19-7 winners over Loudoun Valley, at Westfield on Tuesday.

Osbourn Park played the final 10 minutes of the game down one player after receiving its third yellow card of the contest. Following the go-ahead goal, Priest (one goal, three assists) won the ensuing faceoff and Osbourn Park held the ball for all but the final 12 seconds. Woodgrove was unable to get off a final shot. Corinne Wessels also scored three goals for Osbourn Park.

For Madison (20-0), sophomore Carly Frederick and junior Megan Bisson each scored three goals, and Allison Hahn added a goal and four assists. Andrea Mustacchio scored two goals to pace Loudoun Valley, which finished 16-4.