college football
Maryland RB Brown arrested Thursday

Maryland running back Wes Brown was arrested Thursday night and charged with second-degree assault, theft and wiretapping, the University of Maryland Police Department said Friday.

According to the arrest report, Brown was being questioned by a Baltimore police detective on the south edge of campus near Jason’s Deli and the 7-11 along Baltimore Avenue. Brown, according to public information officer Jeremy Silbert of Baltimore police, is a “person of interest in an open, non-fatal shooting” that occurred last month.

Brown had made telephone arrangements to meet with Baltimore police, according to the University of Maryland police, and Baltimore police called UMPD for assistance because a Maryland student was involved.

During the questioning, Brown swung at the Baltimore detective — missing him — then shoved him with two hands and fled on foot. The rising sophomore was eventually tracked down, about a quarter of a mile away, and ordered to the ground. Brown complied.

The assaulted officer was not injured.

The wiretapping charge came because Brown secretly recorded audio of his conversation with police on an allegedly borrowed cellphone hidden in his pocket, considered “unlawful interception of oral communication,” according to the UMPD spokesman.

Because Brown also fled on foot, carrying the cellphone with him, he was charged with theft of the device. Brown’s friend, the spokesman said, could conceivably testify that he had lent Brown the cellphone in an effort to have the theft charge dropped.

As of Friday afternoon, Brown’s bail had been reduced from $7,500 to $2,500. He is required to post 10 percent of that to be released. A bondsman had been assigned to his case, so he will likely be released from jail.

In a statement, the Maryland athletics department acknowledged Brown’s arrest and said he had been suspended from the university, which includes all football-related activities.

A preliminary hearing is scheduled for July 31 in Upper Marlboro.

Brown, a graduate of Good Counsel High, rushed for 382 yards and two touchdowns on 90 carries.

— Alex Prewitt

PRO basketball

Dwight Howard is joining the Houston Rockets, leaving Los Angeles after one season.

“I’ve decided to become a member of the Houston Rockets. I feel [it’s] the best place for me and I am excited about joining the Rockets and I’m looking forward to a great season,” Howard wrote on Twitter.

“I want to thank the fans in Los Angeles and wish them the best.”

Howard leaves behind an extra $30 million and an offense under Lakers Coach Mike D’Antoni that he was not fully comfortable with.

He joined a team that could become an immediate contender in the Western Conference with the all-star center.

“Years of work by Dwight & Rockets went into this. This team is going to be special,” General Manager Daryl Morey said on Twitter. . . .

The Warriors reached an agreement with swingman Andre Iguodala on a four-year, $48 million deal, two people with knowledge of the situation said.

The people spoke on condition of anonymity to the Associated Press because NBA rules prevent confirmation of moves until July 10. One said the Warriors cleared more than $24 million in salary cap space by sending Richard Jefferson, Andris Biedrins and Brandon Rush to the Utah Jazz along with unspecified draft picks. . . .

A person familiar with the deal said the Philadelphia 76ers acquired the rights to Houston Rockets forward Royce White.

White was a first-round pick (16th overall) last summer but did not play for the Rockets.


Slovakia’s Peter Sagan won the hilly Stage 7 of the Tour de France in a sprint finish while South Africa’s Daryl Impey kept the yellow jersey for another day. Sagan held off John Degenkolb of Germany to capture his first stage victory in this year’s Tour.

Meantime, veteran American rider Christian Vande Velde withdrew from his last major race after his second crash in three days. He tumbled early into the hilly trek of Stage 7 from Montpellier to Albi.

“It was a crash over a bridge. I was on top and underneath a lot of people,” the 37-year-old Vande Velde said. . . . .

New Manchester United Manager David Moyes said Wayne Rooney will remain with the Premier League champions and won’t be sold.

The England striker had indicated before the end of last season, before manager Alex Ferguson retired, that he wanted to leave United after nine years.

Moyes, who previously managed Rooney at Everton, said Rooney “will not be sold by Manchester United.” . . . .

At Henley Royal Regatta on the Thames, Harvard emerged victorious in the all-American quarterfinal against the University of Virginia by 12 / 3 lengths to move into the semifinals against Newcastle University, from the north of England, in the Temple Cup.

— From news services

and staff reports