Also Wednesday, the U.S. women’s team won gold in the inaugural three-on-three Olympic basketball tournament. The team of Stefanie Dolson, Allisha Gray, Kelsey Plum and Jackie Young beat the Russian Olympic Committee, 18-15, on Wednesday night in Tokyo.
Highlights from Tokyo
- The U.S. men’s basketball team, coming off a loss to France, bounced back Wednesday with a resounding 120-66 victory over Iran to get into the win column.
- Katie Ledecky won her first gold medal of the Games in the 1,500-meter freestyle Wednesday afternoon in Tokyo. Earlier, Ledecky finished a disappointing fifth behind Australian phenom Ariarne Titmus and three others in the women’s 200-meter freestyle. Ledecky’s gold was one of four medals won by American swimmers Wednesday.
- American diver Mike Hixon won his second consecutive silver medal, this time with a new partner.
- A rower who delayed her medical residency to compete in the Games finished her Olympic career on her own terms. A badminton star from India displayed her charm.
- Want to get news and highlights in your inbox? Sign up for our Olympics newsletter for a daily guide to the Games. Click here for the full TV schedule.