Baltimore Orioles fans walk by police stationed outside Camden Yards before Monday night’s game was postponed. (Greg Fiume/Getty Images)

The Baltimore Orioles postponed Monday night’s home game against the Chicago White Sox as violence spread through the city on the day Freddie Gray, a 25-year-old who died last week while in police custody, was laid to rest.

In an announcement made through Twitter roughly 45 minutes before the scheduled 7:05 p.m. first pitch, the club said it had consulted throughout the day with Baltimore City Police before making the decision. According to the Associated Press, about 1,000 fans were inside Camden Yards when the announcement was made. No makeup date has been determined.

According to several reports, players in both clubhouses watched reports of the riots on television before each team took batting practice.

“It’s concerning to everybody,” White Sox Manager Robin Ventura told reporters. “Anytime it becomes a violent protest, everybody’s on high alert and you’re trying to do what’s best for the game and the players.”

The White Sox and Orioles are scheduled to play both Tuesday and Wednesday nights, but officials said no decisions had been made about those games. Baltimore Mayor Stephanie Rawlings-Blake ordered a city-wide curfew from 10 p.m. to 5 a.m through Friday. The Orioles also host the Tampa Bay Rays on Friday. Because MLB games average nearly three hours, and all these games are to start at 7:05 p.m., it would seem an adjustment will be necessary.

Given that this is the only scheduled trip to Baltimore for the White Sox this year, one option could be to move the games to Nationals Park in Washington. The Nationals are out of town until May 4. An MLB spokesman, however, said, “We simply have not gotten that far.”

Saturday night, following the Orioles’ home game against Boston, fans were asked to remain inside Camden Yards as protests neared the ballpark. Demonstrators had blocked an intersection right next to the ballpark, but fans were allowed to depart not long after the Orioles’ 10-inning win.

The entire affair — in which a black man died after suffering an unexplained spinal injury following a struggle with police — has club officials trying to figure out the best ways to handle matters with both fans and players.

“I don’t want to lessen it all, so I’m very cautious about even talking about it,” Orioles Manager Buck Showalter said before Monday’s decision, according to the Baltimore Sun. “There’s so many things that go on that you get challenged with. Obviously, this is a different level.” There’s not a lot of experience with it. So you try to take each moment as it comes, and I know there were a lot of calls to some guys’ families about making sure they knew what was going on from a safety standpoint. But guys are watching it. They are all aware of what’s going on.” Fans were encouraged to keep their ticket stubs and parking passes for possible use on a makeup date.