Ever since Beau Hossler appeared on the national golf scene all of two weeks ago, when he led the U.S. Open as a 17-year-old, he has talked about how comfortable he feels among accomplished players. Friday’s second round of the AT&T National presented him an opportunity to get rattled when he hit his tee shot at the par-3 10th hole into the water, leading to a double bogey.

Hossler, who opened with an even-par 71, was in danger of letting his round get away from him after he followed that with bogeys at 11 and 12. But as he has done in his brief time in the spotlight, he settled himself with three straight pars, then closed with a birdie at 18 to shoot 74 and easily make the cut in his first PGA Tour event at 3 over.

The other amateur in the field, Jordan Spieth, shot his second straight 75 and missed the cut. Patrick Cantlay, the former UCLA student who turned pro two weeks ago, shot 71 Friday to make the cut at 1 over, and he’ll cash his first paycheck as a pro.

Stadler: Why wait?

Kevin Stadler approached the sixth green early Friday afternoon at 10 over par and miserable. So after his playing partners, Tom Gillis and Jimmy Walker, hit their approaches into the green at the par 5, Stadler walked up to his ball, more than 40 yards from the pin, and whacked at it with his putter. Without waiting for Gillis and Walker to get to the green – common golf etiquette – he again took no practice stroke, and struck his putt toward the hole. He tapped in for a bogey 6, and with Gillis and Walker still approaching the green, he strode to the seventh tee.

The incident brought to mind the 2005 dust-up at the old Booz Allen Classic, staged across the street at what’s now known as TPC Potomac, when Rory Sabbatini infamously stormed to the next tee long before playing partner Ben Crane had finished playing. The gallery booed Sabbatini, who had grown frustrated with Crane’s notoriously slow play.

So was Stadler, en route to shooting 75 Friday and missing the cut at 9 over, upset about the pace of play?

“Not at all,” Stadler said. “I was just shooting a million. I was spent, and I wanted to get out of here.”. . .

Robert Garrigus received a call Thursday from his caddie, Brent Henley, with some surprising news. Henley had hit his head on the caddie trailer, opening a wound bad enough he had to be taken to the hospital.

“I was scrambling trying to figure out who’s going to caddie for me,” Garrigus said.

He found Paul Fusco, who had caddied for Vijay Singh and Mark Brooks in the past and was somehow hanging around Congressional. Henley had 40 stitches to fix his head, and returned to the course Friday. “That’s pretty gutsy,” said Garrigus, who is two off Hunter Mahan’s lead.. . .

Bo Van Pelt led after the first round in large part because he never made a bogey en route to a 67. That string ended with a vengeance Friday when he bogeyed Nos. 1, 3 and 4 en route to a 73 that left him 2 under for the tournament.. . . Michael Bradley (illness) and Chris Stroud (back) each withdrew Friday.