The Washington Post

Decision about Tiger Woods’s comeback expected soon

Tiger Woods, shown earlier this year in the WGC-Cadillac Championship at Doral, sat out both the Masters and U.S. Open after back surgery. (Andrew Weber/Usa Today Sports)

A decision on whether Tiger Woods can return to competition next week at Congressional Country Club should come by the end of the week, and there remains a chance the 14-time major winner will play for the first time in more than three months.

Woods, who sat out both the Masters and the U.S. Open after back surgery, has been able to make full swings, according to his agent, Mark Steinberg.

“Tiger is progressing as each day passes,” Steinberg said in an e-mail Wednesday. “He is feeling good, but no decision yet on a return date.”

Woods, 38, hosts the Quicken Loans National — formerly the AT&T National — and the event is both staged by and benefits his foundation. Injuries, though, have prevented him from playing in several of the events since the tournament’s inception in 2007. He sat out 2008 after reconstructive knee surgery, missed 2011 with an Achilles’ injury and missed last year’s event with an elbow problem that surfaced at the U.S. Open.

Woods last played March 9 in the Cadillac Championship at Doral. He underwent a procedure called a microdiscectomy on his back on March 31, and the healing process — initially — is complete rest. He appeared at Congressional, the Bethesda club that has hosted Woods’s tour event five times, last month and said he hadn’t yet taken full swings.

The Golf Channel first reported that Woods was hitting drivers and working through his full bag.

“I don’t know when I come back and start ramping it up how far am I away from being explosive,” Woods said in May. “Do I still have that capability of hitting the ball like that? But once I start feeling like that, I don’t think it would take more than a couple weeks to where I can get out there and feel like I can compete. Now, how rusty am I going to be? The more time you give me, I think the better I’ll be.”

The deadline for entries for the Quicken Loans National is 5 p.m. Friday, and the PGA Tour will announce the full 120-player field shortly thereafter. Steinberg has said Woods will appear at the tournament even if he is unable to play. Last year when he sat out, he was on hand for Wednesday’s opening ceremonies and returned to present the trophy to winner Bill Haas, who will return to defend his title. Woods has twice won the event at Congressional.

Barry Svrluga is the national baseball writer for The Washington Post.



Success! Check your inbox for details. You might also like:

Please enter a valid email address

See all newsletters

Show Comments
Most Read



Success! Check your inbox for details.

See all newsletters

Your Three. Videos curated for you.
Play Videos
How to make Sean Brock's 'Heritage' cornbread
New limbs for Pakistani soldiers
The signature dish of Charleston, S.C.
Play Videos
Why seasonal allergies make you miserable
John Lewis, 'Marv the Barb' and the politics of barber shops
What you need to know about filming the police
Play Videos
The Post taste tests Pizza Hut's new hot dog pizza
5 tips for using your thermostat
Michael Bolton's cinematic serenade to Detroit
Play Videos
Full disclosure: 3 bedrooms, 2 baths, 1 ghoul
Pandas, from birth to milk to mom
The signature drink of New Orleans