A heavy downpour soaked the 44th Marine Corps Marathon, conditions that Silver Spring’s Jordan Tropf embraced to win the race for the first time in seven attempts.

“It’s always been a dream to win this race,” said Tropf, 27. “I’ve had this race on my radar all fall. I love being out here, and to get the chance to come in first is real special.”

Tropf finished the 26.2 miles in 2:27:43. Brittany Charboneau, 31, was the first woman to break the tape, finishing in 2:44:47.

While some would see the cool temperatures and driving rain as a challenge, Tropf thrived in the conditions.

“I absolutely loved the rain and temperature,” Tropf said. “Most of my training has been in 100 degrees, and it’s humid. Having the rain really worked to my advantage. The thing that really slowed me down was the wind at different points.”

Tropf, who grew up in Cleveland, went to the Naval Academy and then Johns Hopkins University for medical school. He has had to juggle training for the race with his residency in orthopedic surgery at Walter Reed National Military Medical Center.

“Training is really hit-or-miss with my job,” Tropf said. “It’s hard to be consistent because you’ve got to take calls. I don’t write anything down, so I don’t have to make goals in my schedule or feel bad about missing training. This is what I do for fun, and I love coming out here and being competitive.”

Tropf was feeling winded in the middle of the course, but his gap on the other runners motivated him to keep pushing through.

“I was toasted around mile 15 and 20, and that’s the classic wall in the marathon,” he said. “[When] I realized no one was around me, I knew I could have a good finish, so I focused in and went to work.”

Adam Stokes of the United Kingdom took second with a time of 2:28:59, and Matt O’Neil of Woodbridge finished third in 2:31:30.

Charboneau, meanwhile, came in with aspirations of breaking the course record of 2:37:00 set by Olga Markova in 1990.

“You can’t be upset about winning a marathon,” said Charboneau, from Golden, Colo. “But it was definitely a tough day, and I’m bummed.

“The weather was a little more of a challenge with the dead spots on the course where there wasn’t anyone cheering. I think that was a little more a mental challenge. But once I got to parts where the crowd was, that was definitely a boost.”

Margarita Quintero of Mexico was second in 2:48:22, and Selvi Rajagopal of Columbia was third in 2:50:42.