The Boring Company announced Tuesday that it’s canceling plans to open a high-speed subterranean test tunnel in Los Angeles, according to a statement to The Washington Post.
The company, which was founded by billionaire inventor Elon Musk, said it withdrew its project underneath Sepulveda Boulevard after it settled with community groups that had sued the Los Angeles government over plans to exempt the company from an environmental review process. NBC News earlier reported on the settlement.
“The Boring Company is no longer seeking the development of the Sepulveda test tunnel and instead seeks to construct an operational tunnel at Dodger Stadium,” the company said.
The idea behind the underground tunnel network was spawned “to solve the problem of soul-destroying traffic,” Boring says on its website. The transportation business hopes to alleviate urban congestion by lowering the cost of tunneling projects and building a viable high-speed alternative to driving with a mass transit system that eventually spans the country.
Boring also wants to create ultra-high-speed transit through the use of pod-and-tube transportation system, known as a Hyperloop. This vacuum-based system could be used for longer trips, moving people and cars without wind resistance at faster than 600 miles per hour.
Musk said last month that Boring would hold an event to showcase a test tunnel in Hawthorne, Calif. on Dec. 10, and offer free rides to the public the next day. Musk said on Twitter that passengers would travel as fast as 155 mph. The company said Wednesday that the Hawthorne tunnel demonstration will take place on schedule.
Other Boring tunnel projects are ongoing, including plans to connect several Los Angeles neighborhoods directly to Dodger Stadium. Another proposed route would take people from D.C. to New York in less than 30 minutes. And another would provide high-speed transit in Chicago, according to the company’s website.
The canceled test tunnel comes on the heels of another high-profile legal setback for Musk, stemming from a tweet. In September, he agreed to step down as chairman of Tesla, his electric car company, as part of a settlement with the Securities and Exchange Commission. The agency sued Musk for allegedly lying to investors on Twitter about securing funding for a deal to take Tesla private. Musk also agreed to a $20 million fine, and Tesla committed to more closely monitor Musk’s public communications.