1The FDA’s vaccine advisers meet today on coronavirus booster shots.
- What’s on the table? Whether to recommend third shots of the Pfizer-BioNTech vaccine.
- The panel will hear from the FDA, the CDC and Pfizer, as well as from Israeli officials about their successful booster campaign.
- The process: The advisers will make a recommendation to the FDA, which will then make a final decision; however, the agency typically follows their recommendations.
2Thousands of Haitians are sleeping under a border bridge in Texas.
- More than 10,000 people have crossed the Rio Grande this week, creating a humanitarian emergency that’s overwhelming border agents.
- The migrants are part of a larger wave of Haitians heading to the U.S., many of whom moved to South America after a devastating earthquake in 2010. Many say the economic toll of the pandemic pushed them to leave.
3A submarine deal between the U.S. and Australia is angering China.
- What’s going on? The U.S. agreed to share sensitive nuclear submarine technology with Australia. Britain is also part of the alliance.
- Why is China upset about it? It’s seen as a direct challenge to the country and its power in the Pacific.
- France isn’t pleased either: Australia had a $66 billion agreement to buy French subs, which is now effectively canceled.
4A rally in support of Jan. 6 rioters is planned for tomorrow near the Capitol.
- As a precaution, fencing has been reinstalled around the Capitol, and Capitol Police have requested National Guard support if things get violent.
- Experts say they’re not seeing the same kind of online chatter or organization they did leading up to the Jan. 6 attack. The event’s planner expects about 700 people to attend.
5Trump’s unusual last-minute Secret Service order cost taxpayers $1.7 million.
- What was the order? The former president gave six extra months of Secret Service protection to his four adult children and three of his top officials.
- Why it’s unusual: Ex-presidents and their spouses get protection for life, along with children under 16. Trump’s order went far beyond that.
- Among the expenses: $52,000 to guard former treasury secretary Steven Mnuchin on a business trip to Qatar, records show.
6The Emmys are Sunday night, hosted by Cedric the Entertainer.
- How to watch: The awards show for TV will air at 8 p.m. Eastern time for three hours.
- What to expect: “Ted Lasso” and “The Crown” are predicted to win big in the comedy and drama categories. You’ll also probably hear a lot of “The Mandalorian,” “WandaVision,” “The Handmaid’s Tale” and “Saturday Night Live.”
7A group of scientists wants to bring back the woolly mammoth. Should it?
- This bioscience start-up says yes: It argues its work could help protect species endangered by climate change and advance genetic engineering.
- Some ethicists say no: Think “Jurassic Park” — enough said.
- The details: The project will try to create a hybrid embryo by editing Asian elephant DNA and inserting traits from the woolly mammoth. The embryo would then be carried by a surrogate Asian elephant.
Special thanks to Mike King for contributing to this report.