Ian was probably Florida’s deadliest hurricane since 1935.
- How deadly? There’s some disagreement over the numbers. State officials have confirmed 72 deaths, while county sheriffs have reported dozens more.
- Why was it so dangerous? Ian’s storm surge — which reached 18 feet in some places — claimed the most lives, with over half of the victims drowning, according to officials.
A majority of Republican nominees deny the 2020 election results.
- How we know: A new Post analysis of GOP candidates up for election next month for the House, Senate and statewide offices.
- The numbers: There are 299 election-denying candidates, and most are likely to win. Search here for any on the ballot near you.
- Why it matters: Their dominance in the party could threaten the integrity of future votes, experts said.
Gas prices will probably start going up in the U.S. and worldwide.
- Why? A group of oil-producing nations, led by Russia and Saudi Arabia, announced yesterday that it’ll cut oil output next month.
- What does this mean? Higher prices all around, which will help Russia fund its war in Ukraine and make inflation issues worse.
- What else to know: Europe could face widespread blackouts this winter as it deals with an energy crisis also tied to Russia.
Dozens of people were killed at a day-care center in Thailand.
- What we know: 23 of the victims were children, officials said. Ten other people were wounded.
- The attacker, identified as a former police officer, used a pistol and a knife, officials said. He then killed his wife, child and himself. His motive isn’t clear, police said.
Life in Afghanistan has reached new lows.
- What to know: There’s a growing economic and hunger crisis, with half of young children facing malnutrition, according to a new U.N. report.
- Why this is happening: Afghanistan’s economy collapsed after the Taliban took over the country last year, in part because the government’s funds have been kept out of the Taliban’s reach.
Monkeypox cases are dropping in the U.S.
Video captured orcas hunting and killing great white sharks.
Want to catch up quickly with “The 7” every morning? Download The Post’s app and turn on alert notifications for The 7 or sign up for the newsletter.