Brian Stelter, CNN chief media correspondent and anchor of “Reliable Sources,” crafted his book "Hoax: Donald Trump, Fox News, and the Dangerous Distortion of Truth” from three years of interviews with more than 300 current and former Fox News staffers. He documented Fox’s change from serious news operation to one deeply aligned with then-President Donald Trump. Since its release in August 2020, “Hoax” has been substantially updated with new chapters on the false claims of voter fraud, the January 6 riot at the U.S. Capitol, and the rise of conservative media outlets Newsmax and One America News Network. Join Washington Post Live as Stelter discusses the dangers of disinformation and the weaponization of social media.

Highlights

“Buzzfeed touting this deal saying it’s going to give them more money because they’ll have access to the public markets. They’ll have more money to buy more websites and grow faster, that’s the pitch. I think what we’re seeing is this digital media reckoning where it is hard to grow digital media, the business models are really challenging… We’re seeing these rollups, this consolidation in digital media in much the same way we’re seeing with the streaming wars.” (Washington Post Live)
The CNN anchor said the former President wields much less power now that he’s out of office and believes news coverage should reflect that. “I think Trump often deserves one segment, not the whole show, not the whole hour. He’s worth 6 minutes, not 60 minutes. And, you know, when he was president, the calculation was different. He had a lot of power and he was using it in ways that needed to be scrutinized. But now his power really only comes out of his mouth and his ability to persuade people. He’s not the biggest story. (Washington Post Live)

Brian Stelter

Provided by CNN.

Brian Stelter is the anchor of “Reliable Sources,” which examines the week’s top media stories every Sunday at 11:00 a.m. ET on CNN/U.S, and the chief media correspondent for CNN Worldwide. Stelter reports for CNN Business, and writes a nightly e-newsletter.

Prior to joining CNN in November 2013, Stelter was a media reporter at The New York Times. Starting in 2007, he covered television and digital media for the Business Day and Arts section of the newspaper. He was also a lead contributor to the "Media Decoder" blog.

Stelter published The New York Times best-selling book, “HOAX: Donald Trump, Fox News, and the Dangerous Distortion of Truth” in fall 2020, which tells the twisted story of the relationship between President Trump and Fox News. Over the course of two years writing the book, Stelter spoke with over 250 current and former Fox insiders in an effort to understand the inner workings of Rupert Murdoch's multibillion-dollar media empire.

In 2013, he published The New York Times best-selling book, "Top of the Morning: Inside the Cutthroat World of Morning TV", about the competitive world of morning news shows. He is a consulting producer on Apple's drama "The Morning Show," which is inspired by his book.

In 2020, Stelter executive produced the HBO Documentary, “After Truth: Disinformation and the Cost of Fake News,” directed by Andrew Rossi, who featured Stelter in his 2011 documentary, “Page One: Inside the New York Times.” Stelter was also named to Forbes Magazine’s “30 Under 30: Media” for three consecutive years, and Fortune Magazine’s “40 Under 40: Media & Entertainment.”

In January 2004, while he was a freshman at Towson University in Baltimore, Maryland, Stelter created TV Newser, a blog dedicated to coverage of the television news industry. He sold it to Mediabistro.com in July 2004, but continued to edit and write for the blog during the next three years until he graduated with a bachelor’s degree in Mass Communications with a concentration in Journalism. He is on the board of Baltimore Student Media, a nonprofit that publishes Towson’s independent student newspaper, The Towerlight.