Here are some other significant developments:
- President Trump removed the chairman of the federal panel that Congress created to oversee his administration’s management of the $2 trillion stimulus package.
- Acting Navy secretary Thomas Modly resigned one day after he prompted a firestorm by traveling to the USS Theodore Roosevelt and assailing the character of the ship’s former captain.
- In the absence of a national testing plan, several states are developing their own systems. States with more money and robust medical sectors have devised comprehensive plans, while others lag far behind.
- British Prime Minister Boris Johnson is in his second night of intensive care, battling a coronavirus infection and “receiving standard oxygen treatment and breathing without any assistance,” according to his official spokesman.
- Treasury is preparing to ask Congress to swiftly commit an additional $200 billion for a small-business relief program that is overwhelmed by demand.
- Trump is threatening to withhold funds from the World Health Organization.
- Hundreds of voters stood in lines that stretched for blocks in several Wisconsin cities Tuesday to cast ballots amid fears of the coronavirus.
Sign up for our coronavirus newsletter | Mapping the spread of the coronavirus: Across the U.S. | Worldwide | What you need to know about the virus | Has someone close to you died of covid-19? Share your story with The Washington Post.