And as deaths in the United States surpassed 40,000, Trump administration and congressional leaders say they are close to striking a $400 billion-plus deal to renew funding for a small-business loan program that ran out of money.
Here are some significant developments:
- President Trump said he might invoke the Defense Production Act to compel the manufacture of more swabs for testing.
- Earlier in the day, House Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.) gave the president an “F” on expanding testing nationwide.
- Dozens of antibody tests on the market were never reviewed by the Food and Drug Administration.
- More evidence has emerged that the Trump administration was warned about the coronavirus threat.
- The Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services published guidelines for doctors to start offering elective medical procedures again, as part of a phased process of reopening the country.
- Nearly 60 percent of U.S. voters are worried more about the country reopening too quickly, according to a survey by NBC News and the Wall Street Journal, than loosening restrictions slowly and potentially devastating the economy.