Here are some significant developments:
- Governors from multiple states, including Texas and Ohio, have laid out dates for when different businesses and regions can return to work, yet others, including Louisiana, are extending their stay-at-home orders. The White House is reviewing expanded guidance on reopening society as more states prepare to relax restrictions.
- U.S. intelligence agencies issued warnings about the virus in more than a dozen classified briefings prepared for Trump in January and February, months during which he continued to play down the threat.
- U.S. deaths soared in the early weeks of the pandemic, far exceeding the number attributed to covid-19. Confirmed infections in the United States approached 1 million, with more than 55,000 reported deaths.
- The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention added six symptoms of covid-19 to its list, including headache and loss of smell.
- Both chambers of Congress will be back in Washington next week, as Democrats are pushing forward to unveil a major new economic rescue bill in coming days.