NAIROBI — Two female suicide bombers struck a Nigerian mosque on Wednesday, officials and witnesses said, killing at least 22 people in an attack similar to others carried out by the Islamist militant group Boko Haram.
The mosque is in the major northern city of Maiduguri, near the site of suicide bombings that claimed 86 lives in January.
There was no claim of responsibility. But sending women and children wrapped with explosives to civilian targets has been a hallmark of some recent Boko Haram attacks. The Nigerian military has forced the terrorist group from much of its territory across the northeast, but Boko Haram’s ability to carry out devastating attacks appears undiminished.
“So far 22 people have been confirmed dead and 35 others injured,’ a spokesman for the Borno State Emergency Management Agency, Abdullahi Omar, told the Agence-France Presse news agency.
In an interview, an international aid official said the two attackers were women. The official spoke on the condition of anonymity because she was not authorized to comment on the bombings.
In late January, 86 people were killed in a village just outside Maiduguri in an attack that included three suicide bombers. The assault occurred just a month after a speech by Nigeria’s president, Muhammudu Buhari, declaring that Boko Haram had been “technically” defeated.