The Washington Post

April is deadliest month for U.S. troops in Iraq since 2009

April was the deadliest month for U.S. military forces in Iraq in nearly a year and a half and the worst by far for American troops since they officially ended combat missions in the country last year, according to military and independent record keepers.

In a statement released here Saturday, U.S. forces said an 11th soldier died Friday while conducting an operation in southern Iraq. With that death, the U.S. military tied its highest body count in Iraq since November 2009, when 11 soldiers also died, according to the Web site icasualties.org.

Five of the deaths were attributed to bombings and mortar or other attacks, mostly in the majority-Shiite south. Six were classified as noncombat-related.

Also Saturday, Iraqi civilian deaths numbered in the double digits for a third straight day, with a major bombing in the northern city of Mosul and targeted killings of government officials in and around Baghdad. In all, at least 14 people died.

In Mosul, a suicide bomber killed at least seven people and wounded 17 when he detonated himself near the city’s main market as an Iraqi army patrol passed nearby, police said.

In another bombing in northern Baghdad, a judge, his wife and their two daughters were killed when explosives were detonated outside their home. A second government official, his wife and their daughter were also killed in their Baghdad home by gunmen wearing Iraqi army uniforms and using silenced weapons, police said.

The spike in U.S. military deaths comes as U.S. officials are urging Iraqi leaders to decide soon whether they want some American troops to stay beyond a year-end deadline for their withdrawal. It also coincides with threats by Shiite cleric Moqtada al-Sadr to reconstitute his Mahdi Army militia if the Americans do not leave.

Some U.S. service members say they have sensed a surge in mortar attacks on U.S. bases in the south amid the mounting political pressure in Baghdad for a decision on the deadline.

This week, warning sirens sounded on the U.S. base in the southern port city of Basra when mortar fire struck the airfield, not far from the building that is expected to be turned over to the State Department later this year for use as a consulate.

Iraqi Prime Minister Nouri al-Maliki has said that Iraqi forces are capable of managing the country’s security and that it will not be necessary for U.S. troops to stay. But after the Sunni parliament speaker said this week that the legislature might debate reaching a decision of its own, Maliki said he would hold multiparty discussions on the issue when he returns from a trade mission next week.

According to an Associated Press tally, Friday’s death brought to at least 4,452 the number of U.S. military personnel who have died in Iraq since the war began in March 2003.

Aaron Davis covers D.C. government and politics for The Post and wants to hear your story about how D.C. works — or how it doesn’t.

The Freddie Gray case

Please provide a valid email address.

You’re all set!

Campaign 2016 Email Updates

Please provide a valid email address.

You’re all set!

Get Zika news by email

Please provide a valid email address.

You’re all set!
Comments
Show Comments

Sign up for email updates from the "Confronting the Caliphate" series.

You have signed up for the "Confronting the Caliphate" series.

Thank you for signing up
You'll receive e-mail when new stories are published in this series.
Most Read

world

Success! Check your inbox for details.

See all newsletters

Close video player
Now Playing

To keep reading, please enter your email address.

You’ll also receive from The Washington Post:
  • A free 6-week digital subscription
  • Our daily newsletter in your inbox

Please enter a valid email address

I have read and agree to the Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Please indicate agreement.

Thank you.

Check your inbox. We’ve sent an email explaining how to set up an account and activate your free digital subscription.