The Washington Post

Armed men attack motorcade of Saudi prince, steal sensitive documents

The motorcade of a Saudi prince was attacked Sunday evening in a suburb of Paris, with up to eight armed men stopping the convoy and taking a suitcase containing more than $335,000 in cash and sensitive documents.

The attackers kidnapped a driver, a bodyguard and another employee but later released them. No one was reported hurt in the attack, which occurred as the motorcade was heading toward an airport in the northeastern suburb of Le Bourget.

French media quoted officials describing the attack, which occurred between 9 and 10 p.m. local time, as “well-informed,” “unusual” and “rare.”

Investigators have opened an investigation, but so far no suspects have been apprehended. Two cars that had been used by the thieves were later found burned out.

An unnamed investigator told the French newspaper Le Monde that the nature of the case would change if it is determined that the thieves had specifically targeted the sensitive diplomatic documents. “In that case we would no longer deal with banditry, but instead with something more complex,” the source said, according to the newspaper.

The unnamed official went on to say that an early assessment of the attack had concluded that the thieves must have been aware of the suitcase’s location in the motorcade, which included approximately 10 vehicles. So far, Saudi Arabia’s embassy in Paris has not commented on the incident.

The French capital has recently seen a series of thefts of luxury items, such as jewelry, as well as robberies targeting foreigners. In an incident last year, thieves stole passports, plane tickets and a substantial amount of cash from Chinese tourists.

By attacking a diplomatic convoy, however, the thieves have caught the attention of the French Foreign Ministry, which is widely known as Quai d’Orsay. The Guardian cited ministry spokesman Romain Nadal as calling Monday’s attack unacceptable. Under international law, France has to ensure the safety of foreign diplomats.

A particularly harsh violation of that rule was the 1979-1980 Iranian hostage crisis, in which the government in Tehran refused to help American diplomats held in the U.S. Embassy. Diplomatic relations were canceled in response, and the repercussions of that incident are still felt today, reflecting the severity of an attack on diplomatic property.

Rick Noack writes about foreign affairs and is based in Europe.


Success! Check your inbox for details. You might also like:

Please enter a valid email address

See all newsletters

Show Comments

Sign up for email updates from the "Confronting the Caliphate" series.

You have signed up for the "Confronting the Caliphate" series.

Thank you for signing up
You'll receive e-mail when new stories are published in this series.
Most Read


Success! Check your inbox for details.

See all newsletters

Your Three. Videos curated for you.
Play Videos
How to make Sean Brock's 'Heritage' cornbread
New limbs for Pakistani soldiers
The signature dish of Charleston, S.C.
Play Videos
Why seasonal allergies make you miserable
John Lewis, 'Marv the Barb' and the politics of barber shops
What you need to know about filming the police
Play Videos
The Post taste tests Pizza Hut's new hot dog pizza
5 tips for using your thermostat
Michael Bolton's cinematic serenade to Detroit
Play Videos
Full disclosure: 3 bedrooms, 2 baths, 1 ghoul
Pandas, from birth to milk to mom
The signature drink of New Orleans

To keep reading, please enter your email address.

You’ll also receive from The Washington Post:
  • A free 6-week digital subscription
  • Our daily newsletter in your inbox

Please enter a valid email address

I have read and agree to the Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Please indicate agreement.

Thank you.

Check your inbox. We’ve sent an email explaining how to set up an account and activate your free digital subscription.