Karzai acknowledges CIA payments


Afghan President Hamid Karzai speaks during a news conference in Kabul, Afghanistan, Saturday, May 4, 2013. Karzai says the director of the CIA assured him that regular funding his government receives from the agency will not be cut off. (Rahmat Gul/AP)

Afghan President Hamid Karzai acknowledged Saturday that he has frequently received money from the CIA and that he had been promised the agency would continue making such payments.

At a news conference, Karzai said the payments amounted to “a government institution helping another government institution, and we appreciate all this assistance and help.”

He said the money has been used to fund Afghanistan’s intelligence agency over the past decade, but he did not disclose how much he had received.

Karzai said he received the money in the form of cash, meaning the contribution would not be considered part of any formal contribution of aid and would not likely be subject to congressional oversight.

The Afghan leader has been a frequent critic of the American presence in Afghanistan, saying that the United States has violated his sovereignty and was complicit in corruption that destabilized the country. But he acknowledged Saturday that his government is dependent on foreign assistance.

Karzai said he had called a meeting this past week with the CIA’s Kabul station chief.

“I told him because of all these rumors in the media, please do not cut all this money, because we really need it,” he said. “We want to continue this sort of assistance, and he promised that they are not going to cut this money.”

The New York Times reported last week about monthly payments from the CIA delivered in suitcases and shopping bags to his presidential palace. The Washington Post reported on CIA payments to Karzai’s administration in 2010.

At the news conference, Karzai also said he would sign a long-term security agreement allowing U.S. troops to remain in the country beyond 2014 if the United States guarantees Afghanistan’s security from “neighboring countries” and agrees to provide ongoing financial support. Karzai was almost certainly referring to escalating tension with Pakistan, which culminated this past week with Afghan forces taking over a Pakistani army outpost that officials in Kabul claimed was on Afghan soil.

Saturday also marked one of the deadliest days of 2013 for international forces in Afghanistan. Five U.S. service members were killed by a makeshift bomb in southern Afghanistan, U.S. officials said. Two more service members were killed when an Afghan soldier turned his weapon on foreign troops in western Afghanistan, and one was killed in an attack in the north.

The incidents come a week after the Taliban announced that its “spring offensive” had begun and that such “insider attacks” would be used to weaken Western forces.

Kevin Sieff has been The Post’s bureau chief in Nairobi since 2014. He served previously as the bureau chief in Kabul and had covered the U.S. -Mexico border.

world

asia_pacific

Success! Check your inbox for details. You might also like:

Please enter a valid email address

See all newsletters

Comments
Show Comments

Sign up for email updates from the "Confronting the Caliphate" series.

You have signed up for the "Confronting the Caliphate" series.

Thank you for signing up
You'll receive e-mail when new stories are published in this series.
Most Read World

world

asia_pacific

Success! Check your inbox for details.

See all newsletters

To keep reading, please enter your email address.

You’ll also receive from The Washington Post:
  • A free 6-week digital subscription
  • Our daily newsletter in your inbox

Please enter a valid email address

I have read and agree to the Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Please indicate agreement.

Thank you.

Check your inbox. We’ve sent an email explaining how to set up an account and activate your free digital subscription.