U.S. complains to China after warships narrowly avoid collision

The U.S. government has complained to Chinese officials after one of its guided missile cruisers was forced to avoid a collision with a Chinese warship in international waters in the South China Sea earlier this month.

The Chinese People’s Liberation Army (PLA) Navy vessel had tried to get the USS Cowpens to stop, according to military officials quoted in the Stars and Stripes newspaper. “I don’t know the intent of the guy driving that PLA ship,” one U.S. official told the paper. “I just know that he was moving to impede and harass the Cowpens.”

A U.S. defense official confirmed the incident had taken place in international waters on Dec. 5.

“It is not uncommon for navies to operate in close proximity, which is why it is paramount that all navies follow international standards for maritime rules of the road in order to maintain the highest levels of safety and professionalism,” said the official, who was not authorized to speak by name. “Eventually, effective bridge-to-bridge communication occurred between the U.S. and Chinese crews, and both vessels maneuvered to ensure safe passage.”

A State Department spokesman, who was also not authorized to speak by name, said the United States had raised the issue with China at a high level.

This is not the first time U.S. and Chinese naval ships have come close to an accident in the area. In 2009, five Chinese military vessels surrounded and harassed the USNS Impeccable in international waters in the South China Sea and forced it to carry out an emergency stop, according to the Pentagon. That incident drew a protest from the White House.

The latest incident comes amid growing friction between the militaries of the United States and China.

Last month, China unilaterally established an “air defense identification zone” in the East China Sea, encompassing a chain of small, rocky islands that it claims sovereignty over but that are administered by Japan.

It warned that any non-commercial aircraft entering the zone without notice could face “defensive emergency measures,” but the United States immediately called China’s bluff by flying B-52 bombers through the zone.

A few days later, China scrambled fighter jets to track U.S. and Japanese military aircraft flying through the zone.

The establishment of the air defense zone was seen as part of China’s increasingly assertive and nationalistic stance over disputed maritime territory contested with many of its neighbors.

On a trip to the region last week, Vice President Biden said the United States was “deeply concerned by the attempt to change the status quo in the East China Sea.” Defense Secretary Chuck Hagel warned this week that China’s actions on the air defense zone raised regional tensions and increased the risk of “miscalculation, confrontation and accidents.”

Shortly after establishing the air defense zone, China deployed its only aircraft carrier, the Liaoning, to the South China Sea for military drills. At the time, the nationalistic state-run Global Times newspaper complained that, during its voyage, “warplanes and aircraft from the US and Japan nervously followed the Chinese carrier, trying to put psychological pressure on the Chinese people.”

China’s government has not made any comment about the latest incident, but the Global Times newspaper carried a report on it Saturday that accused the U.S. military of “using the excuse of freedom of navigation on the high seas as a way to conduct close surveillance and monitoring of China’s normal military activities.”

David Finkelstein of the Center for Naval Analysis said the incident did not appear to be tied to the air defense zone. “My gut would suggest to me that this dangerous and uncalled-for activity was a local initiative by the local Chinese commanders,” he said. “I see this as a task force that used less than professional methods to protect their carrier, thereby engaging in potentially dangerous behavior.”

But Dean Cheng of the Heritage Foundation said that the latest incident was part of a trend that goes back to 2011 and that there was little doubt that it was intentional, coming after the air defense zone was set up and just before the Biden visit.

“All of this is consistent,” he said. “It reflects a very Chinese point of view that these are our waters, under our control, and everyone else should leave. The Chinese are pushing their claims, willing to run risks, willing to be aggressive.”

Simon Denyer is The Post’s bureau chief in China. He served previously as bureau chief in India and as a Reuters bureau chief in Washington, India and Pakistan.
William Wan is the Post's roving national correspondent, based in Washington, D.C. He previously served as the paper’s religion reporter and diplomatic correspondent and for three years as the Post’s China correspondent in Beijing.

world

asia_pacific

Success! Check your inbox for details. You might also like:

Please enter a valid email address

See all newsletters

Comments
Show Comments

Sign up for email updates from the "Confronting the Caliphate" series.

You have signed up for the "Confronting the Caliphate" series.

Thank you for signing up
You'll receive e-mail when new stories are published in this series.
Most Read World

world

asia_pacific

Success! Check your inbox for details.

See all newsletters

To keep reading, please enter your email address.

You’ll also receive from The Washington Post:
  • A free 6-week digital subscription
  • Our daily newsletter in your inbox

Please enter a valid email address

I have read and agree to the Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Please indicate agreement.

Thank you.

Check your inbox. We’ve sent an email explaining how to set up an account and activate your free digital subscription.