Iranian forces launched more than a dozen ballistic missiles against two military bases in Iraq, the Pentagon said Tuesday evening, marking the most significant Iranian attack in the growing conflict with the United States.

The al-Asad air base in western Iraq, which houses some American troops, was hit by at least six missiles , according to a U.S. defense official familiar with the situation.

In a tweet late Tuesday, President Trump proclaimed “All is well!” and vowed to address the nation on the situation Wednesday morning.

The strike comes as U.S. officials have defended Trump’s decision to kill Maj. Gen. Qasem Soleimani, the commander of Iran’s elite Quds Force, in an airstrike in Baghdad last week. Iranian leaders stepped up calls Tuesday for revenge against the United States as Iranian authorities prepared to bury Soleimani in his hometown of Kerman, a southeastern city. Early on Tuesday, authorities were forced to suspend the burial proceedings after a stampede killed dozens of mourners.

Here’s what we know so far:

● Iranian forces have launched more than a dozen ballistic missiles against two military bases in Iraq.

● Secretary of State Mike Pompeo and Defense Secretary Mark T. Esper met with President Trump at the White House following the attack. The president said he will make a statement Wednesday morning.

● Esper said the United States will not be withdrawing troops from Iraq. The Trump administration is drawing up potential sanctions against Iraq, in the event that its leaders go through with plans to order the expulsion of U.S. troops for Soleimani’s killing on Iraqi soil.

● Iranian state news agencies reported that at least 50 people died and more than 200 were injured in the stampede at the funeral for Soleimani.

Escalating tensions jolt financial markets

4:00 a.m.
Link copied
link

HONG KONG — Stock markets in Asia slumped, while oil and gold prices surged after the Iranian missile attack on U.S. military bases intensified fears of a wider conflict.

Japan’s Nikkei was down around 2 percent midday Wednesday, and stocks in Hong Kong and Australia also declined.

The global benchmark Brent crude oil futures soared more than 3 percent to their highest since September before paring some of the gains. U.S. stock futures also slid.

Gold — seen as a haven in times of uncertainty — surged above $1,600 an ounce for the first time in almost seven years, while the yen strengthened against the dollar.

Contractor whose death Trump cites was a naturalized U.S. citizen born in Iraq

3:21 a.m.
Link copied
link

An American defense contractor whose death late last month was cited by President Trump amid escalating violence with Iran was identified Tuesday as an interpreter who was born in Iraq and lived in Sacramento.

Nawres Hamid, 33, became a naturalized citizen in 2017, according to his widow. He was the father of two boys, ages 2 and 8, she said.

In recent years, as an Arabic interpreter for U.S. forces in Iraq, Hamid was known to decorate his living space with pictures of the children, according to a co-worker.

Hamid was killed on Dec. 27 when U.S. authorities say an Iranian-backed militia fired rockets at a military base near the northern Iraqi city of Kirkuk.

The attack, which injured several coalition troops, prompted Trump to order missile strikes against Iraqi militias. That in turn led to a New Year’s Eve assault on the U.S. Embassy in Baghdad, and a retaliatory strike by the United States that killed Gen. Qasem Soleimani, a top Iranian military commander.

Hamid’s death has been a rallying cry for Trump. In a tweet on Dec. 31, Trump wrote: “Iran killed an American contractor, wounding many. We strongly responded, and always will. Now Iran is orchestrating an attack on the U.S. Embassy in Iraq. They will be held fully responsible. In addition, we expect Iraq to use its forces to protect the Embassy, and so notified!”

Read more here.

Trump says he will make statement Wednesday in response to Iranian strike

3:00 a.m.
Link copied
link

WASHINGTON — In a tweet, Trump said he would address the nation Wednesday morning and sought to reassure Americans, declaring, “All is well!”

“Assessment of casualties & damages taking place now,” Trump said. “So far, so good! We have the most powerful and well equipped military anywhere in the world, by far!”

Despite Trump’s tweet, there were no public events listed for the president on the schedule sent out by the White House eight minutes earlier.

Democrats have responded to news of the strike by urging Trump not to resort to military action, with House Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.) tweeting that America and the world “cannot afford war.”

Iranian foreign minister says his country took ‘proportionate measures’

2:50 a.m.
Link copied
link

WASHINGTON — Iranian Foreign Minister Javad Zarif, in a message on Twitter following the strikes, said that Iran had taken “proportionate measures in self-defense under Article 51 of UN Charter targeting base from which cowardly armed attack against our citizens & senior officials were launched.”

Rep. Cheney says Iran ‘made a grave miscalculation’ as Democrats call for lowering tensions

2:45 a.m.
Link copied
link

WASHINGTON — Some Republicans, including Rep. Liz Cheney (Wyo.), appeared to urge Trump to retaliate against Iran Tuesday night.

“The Iranian regime has made a grave miscalculation by launching these attacks,” Cheney said in a tweet. She added: “I stand with President Trump, who has been clear that the United States will not tolerate such action against our forces.”

Several Democrats, meanwhile, urged Trump to lower tensions with Iran. Sen. Robert Menendez (N.J.), the top Democrat on the Senate Foreign Relations Committee, said he spoke with Pompeo about the Iranian strikes Tuesday night. In a statement, he described the strikes as “a dangerous escalation that is directly threatening Americans and American national security.”

“The American people are not interested in getting involved in yet another endless war in the Middle East with no clear goal or strategy,” Menendez said. “Now is the time to shore up our alliances.”

Warren and other Democrats call for de-escalation, voice concern for U.S. troops

2:23 a.m.
Link copied
link

WASHINGTON — News of Iran’s strike broke as a crowd of more than 4,000 waited for Sen. Elizabeth Warren (D-Mass.) at a rally in Brooklyn Tuesday night. As soon as she took the stage, Warren said she wanted to open on a “very sober note.”

“For any of you who haven’t been able to follow it, within the last hour, the Iranian government has announced that it has sent missiles to attack our military bases in Iraq,” she said. “My three brothers all served in the military. … My heart and my prayers are with our military and with their families in Iraq and around the world. This is a reminder of why we need to de-escalate tension in the Middle East. The American people do not want a war with Iran.”

Former Obama administration housing chief Julián Castro, who was in Brooklyn to introduce Warren at their first joint event since his endorsement of her, also opened with mention of the airstrikes.

“I wanted to just begin by saying that tonight we’re thinking about our men and women in uniform, especially those who are stationed in Iraq. And we’re praying for their safety,” he said.

Castro, who went on to also mention the massive earthquake that had caused widespread damage in Puerto Rico, said developments on the island and in Iraq were “two very powerful and poignant reminders of why all of us have a role to play: engaging in our democracy, voting, and ushering in new leadership in 2020 with a new president.”

Several of the other Democratic White House candidates took to Twitter to voice concern for U.S. troops in Iraq in the wake of the Iranian strike.

“Tonight, Americans in Iraq are under fire,” former South Bend, Ind., mayor Pete Buttigieg said. “My prayers are with them, their loved ones, and their families.”

Sen. Amy Klobuchar (Minn.) said that the United States “must do all we can to protect our servicemembers and Americans at risk.”

Klobuchar did not attend a previously scheduled fundraiser in Washington Tuesday night due to the Iranian strike.

Military unclear if there were U.S. casualties in attacks on two military bases

2:10 a.m.
Link copied
link

WASHINGTON — A defense official said that U.S. military did not yet have clear information about whether there had been American casualties in the attacks on the two sites in Iraq.

One U.S. military official, reached for comment earlier Tuesday evening, said U.S. troops were still assessing what happened.

Kerry says Trump risks bringing U.S. into ‘reckless war of choice’

2:05 a.m.
Link copied
link

WASHINGTON — Speaking to NBC News on the sidelines of an event for former vice president Joe Biden in Iowa, former secretary of state John F. Kerry called for the Trump administration to respond to Iran’s strike with diplomacy rather than military action.“I think it’s a tragedy for the world that instead of diplomacy, this administration has rushed to confrontation,” Kerry said. “If this develops into a tit-for-tat, increased effort, it will become a war that is needless, it didn’t have to happen, and it will be a reckless war of choice by the president of the United States.”

Biden says he prays Trump is listening to his military commanders

2:00 a.m.
Link copied
link

WASHINGTON — At a fundraiser near Philadelphia on Tuesday night, former vice president Joe Biden briefly addressed the news of the Iranian airstrikes.

“What’s happening in Iraq and Iran today was predictable — not exactly what’s happening, but the chaos that’s ensuing,” Biden said, pointing to the Soleimani strike and Trump’s decision to withdraw from the 2015 Iran nuclear deal.

“Some of the things he’s done and said in the meantime have been close to ludicrous, including threatening to bomb holy sites,” Biden said of Trump. He added: “And I just pray to God, as he goes through what’s happening, as we speak, that he’s listening to his military commanders for the first time, because so far that has not been the case.”

Trump met with Pompeo and Esper at White House, will not make remarks tonight

1:41 a.m.
Link copied
link

WASHINGTON — President Trump will not make remarks Tuesday night following Iranian forces launching more than a dozen ballistic missiles against two military bases in Iraq, White House press secretary Stephanie Grisham said. No other administration officials will speak about the attacks either, she said.

It is possible the White House will release a statement and Trump could always tweet about the attacks.

Trump met at the White House on Tuesday night with Pompeo and Esper, according to a senior administration official.

Trump has warned Iran not to retaliate after the United States killed Maj. Gen. Qasem Soleimani, the commander of Iran’s elite Quds Force, in an airstrike in Baghdad last week.

“If Iran does anything that they shouldn’t be doing, they’re going to be suffering the consequences, and very strongly,” Trump told reporters earlier Tuesday during a meeting with Greece Prime Minister Kyriakos Mitsotakis.

Representative to Iran’s supreme leader appears to mimic Trump’s tweet

1:32 a.m.
Link copied
link

WASHINGTON — Moments after a military base was struck by missiles in Iraq, Saeed Jalili, a representative to Iran’s supreme leader, tweeted a photo of Iran’s flag.

The tweet appears to be mimicking President Trump, who tweeted a photo of the American flag following reports that an airstrike had killed Soleimani.

Irbil military base targeted in missile attack is major hub for U.S. and coalition military activity

1:20 a.m.
Link copied
link

WASHINGTON — Irbil, the capital of Iraq’s semiautonomous Kurdistan region, is a major hub for U.S. and coalition military activity in Iraq and also an important launching point for the parallel mission against the Islamic State in neighboring Syria.

Many U.S. forces pass through Irbil on their way in and out of a network of much smaller bases in Syria. During the peak of the campaign against the Islamic State in Iraq, military officials also oversaw a major battle in the nearby city of Mosul from Irbil. The city, like most of Iraqi Kurdistan, has been considered safer for U.S. personnel than other parts of Iraq.

Obama administration officials caution restraint for U.S. response to Iranian attack

1:05 a.m.
Link copied
link

WASHINGTON — Some former Obama administration officials argued on Twitter on Tuesday night that the size and scope of the Iranian attack so far does not merit a military response from the United States.

Ilan Goldenberg, a Middle East security director at the Center for a New American Security, tweeted: “NO. NO. NO. He doesn’t have to respond especially if casualties are limited.” Goldenberg previously oversaw Iran policy for the Obama administration in the Pentagon.

Philip Carter, another former Obama administration official who also served in Iraq as an Army officer, said that short-range missile attacks on U.S. bases in Iraq were “commonplace” when he was deployed.

“Granted, this is much different; firing short-range missiles from Sadr City ≠ firing medium-range missiles from Iran,” tweeted Carter, who now studies national security for the Rand Corp. “But let’s try to have all tactical patience here and keep our cool.”

Report details Iran’s history with ballistic missiles

12:55 a.m.
Link copied
link

WASHINGTON — Iran first launched ballistic missiles in 1985, during its war with Iraq, according to the annual “Iran Power Report” released by the Defense Intelligence Agency. The agency assessed that Iran could reach well into Iraq even with its short-range missiles, and strike as far away as Greece and Turkey with its long-range missiles.

Iran has a limited and aging air force, mostly comprised of decades-old American planes and Russian aircraft from the 1990s.