The Washington Post

More bodies but few answers at Mexico mass grave

Mexican officials insisted Tuesday that the northern state of Tamaulipas has not fallen under criminal control, but they provided few new details into horrific mass killings and abductions just across the U.S. border.

Investigators increased to 183 the number of bodies recovered from 40 sites around San Fernando, a farming town 90 minutes south of Brownsville, Tex., that a cell of the Zetas drug gang is accused of converting into a giant cartel burial ground.

Marisela Morales, Mexico’s top prosecutor, and federal police spokesman Alejandro Poire read a statement but did not take questions from reporters. Nor did they provide insight into why the criminals killed so many people, including scores of bus passengers probably headed to the United States.

Many of the corpses bear signs of devastating cranial trauma, and a sledgehammer found at the scene is thought to have been used in the slayings. DNA tests to identify victims will take three to four weeks, authorities said.

“We have doubled our patrols,” Poire said, adding that military authorities and federal police are looking for more suspects in addition to the 74 in custody, who include 17 of San Fernando’s 25 police officers.

“The Mexican government is in control of Tamaulipas,” Poire said.

Warring gangsters have carried out several attacks in the state despite the added security. Officials said federal police have rescued 122 kidnapping victims in the past week from three locations in Tamaulipas and arrested several local police officers suspected in the crimes.

On Monday, federal police raided a location in the border city of Reynosa where 51 victims were being held, including 18 Central American migrants and six Chinese nationals. Sixty-eight victims were freed April 19 from another criminal safe house in the city.

Morales said that the kidnappers were demanding $1,000 to $2,000 from the victims’ families and that six Reynosa police officers accused of working for the Gulf Cartel had been arrested.

The grisly findings in Tamaulipas have overshadowed recovery efforts at another mass grave hundreds of miles away, in the city of Durango, where 75 bodies have been found since April 11.

Nick Miroff is a Latin America correspondent for The Post, roaming from the U.S.-Mexico borderlands to South America’s southern cone. He has been a staff writer since 2006.


Success! Check your inbox for details. You might also like:

Please enter a valid email address

See all newsletters

Show Comments

Sign up for email updates from the "Confronting the Caliphate" series.

You have signed up for the "Confronting the Caliphate" series.

Thank you for signing up
You'll receive e-mail when new stories are published in this series.
Most Read


Success! Check your inbox for details.

See all newsletters

Your Three. Video curated for you.

To keep reading, please enter your email address.

You’ll also receive from The Washington Post:
  • A free 6-week digital subscription
  • Our daily newsletter in your inbox

Please enter a valid email address

I have read and agree to the Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Please indicate agreement.

Thank you.

Check your inbox. We’ve sent an email explaining how to set up an account and activate your free digital subscription.