After a weekend of celebration and relief, the people of Boston observed a moment of silence on Monday in memory of those killed and wounded in the Boston Marathon bombing one week ago.

At 2:50 p.m. — the moment that the first of two bombs exploded near the finish line of the venerated race — residents observed a statewide moment of silence, followed by a ringing of bells, at the request of Gov. Deval L. Patrick (D).

President Obama, who eulogized the victims and rallied the people of Boston at a “healing” service Thursday, observed a moment of silence at that time as well, the White House said.

Earlier in the day, funeral services were held for bombing victim Krystle Campbell at St. Joseph Catholic Church in Medford, her home town, just outside Boston.

The service for the 29-year-old restaurant manager was the first of several solemn remembrances planned for Monday, marking one week since the bombing that left three dead, injured more than 200 and shocked the nation.

In the town of Dartmouth, where the younger of the two brothers accused of carrying out the bombing was enrolled at a campus of the University of Massachusetts, students held a vigil to “begin the healing process and honor the victims of the attacks,” the university said.

Boston University planned a memorial service on Monday evening for Lu Lingzi, the 23-year-old graduate student from China who also was killed in the blasts.

The third person killed in the bombing was 8-year-old Martin Richard of Boston’s Dorchester neighborhood. His mother and younger sister were badly injured. Area residents crowded into a tearful Mass at St. Ann Parish on Sunday to remember him and pray for his family, the Boston Globe reported.

Dzhokhar Tsarnaev, 19, the younger brother, was charged Monday with using a “weapon of mass destruction.” The White House said he would be tried in federal court. His older brother, Tamerlan Tsarnaev, 26, died after a shootout with police early Friday morning.

During the chaotic series of events that led to the death of Tamerlan, a campus police officer from the Massachusetts Institute of Technology was killed and a transit police officer was critically injured.

An hour before the funeral for Campbell, streets around the red-brick church were packed with cars, and police directed traffic, eventually closing off several blocks of High Street, where the church is located.

Local firefighters, members of the Guardian Angels volunteer anti-violence patrol and motorcyclists attended along with Campbell’s high school classmates, fellow restaurant workers, neighbors and church members, standing quietly in a cold wind.

A couple of people climbed into a tree so they could hang a massive American flag. Others held up smaller flags in tribute.

Campbell grew up in this middle-class town northwest of Boston and graduated from Medford High School in 2001. She worked for several years at the Summer Shack restaurant in Boston’s Back Bay area and recently managed corporate catering events.

At 11 a.m., the church bell began to clang. Two dozen local police officers rode up on motorcycles, their blue lights flashing.

The bells rang on and on, as hundreds filed into the church, many of them family members and close friends who had been brought there in chartered buses.

About 11:20 a.m., a church representative told the hundreds of well-wishers still standing in line that there simply was no room left for them in the pews.

Campbell’s family, the representative said, was grateful for the show of support.