Two Guantanamo detainees sent home to Saudi Arabia

The United States has sent two detainees from the Guantanamo Bay, Cuba, detention facility back to their native Saudi Arabia, the Pentagon said Monday, the latest push in a slow-moving effort toward eventually closing the prison.

The transfers of Saad Muhammad Hufsayn Qahtani and Hamood Abdulla Hamood lower the prisoner population to 160 and follow the repatriation of two prisoners to Algeria this month.

The Saudi detainees, who had been held at Guantanamo since 2002, were not charged with a crime.

The facility was set up to house foreigners suspected of acts of terrorism against the United States in the wake of the Sept. 11, 2001, attacks, which killed nearly 3,000 people.

“The U.S. has made real progress in responsibly transferring Guantanamo detainees despite the burdensome legislative restrictions that have impeded our efforts,” Paul Lewis, the Pentagon’s special envoy for the closure of the facility, said in a statement.

Barack Obama promised to shut down the Guantanamo facility during his 2008 presidential campaign, saying it had damaged the reputation of the United States around the world. But he has been unable to do so during nearly five years in office, in part because of resistance from Congress.

One of the Saudi detainees, Hamood, 48, was initially listed by the U.S. military as a Yemeni national, though his late father lived in Saudi Arabia.

Military documents alleged that he was an al-Qaeda courier who fought on the front lines against U.S.-led forces near Bagram, Afghanistan, and then fled to Pakistan. He was captured by Pakistani forces in a raid on a suspected al-Qaeda safe house in February 2002.

Qahtani, 35, told U.S. investigators that he was a student who went to Afghanistan in April 2001 to fight on the side of the Taliban. Military documents say he was an al-Qaeda member who volunteered to become a suicide bomber. He fought U.S. forces near Kabul, then fled through the Tora Bora mountains into Pakistan, where he was captured in December 2001.

Separately, news media in Sudan cited that country’s Foreign Ministry as saying the last two Sudanese prisoners at Guantanamo would be sent home later this week.

The Pentagon confirmed this month that one of them, Noor Uthman Muhammed, had finished a 34-month sentence on a conspiracy conviction and would be repatriated “as soon as practicable.”

world

national-security

Success! Check your inbox for details. You might also like:

Please enter a valid email address

See all newsletters

Comments
Show Comments

Sign up for email updates from the "Confronting the Caliphate" series.

You have signed up for the "Confronting the Caliphate" series.

Thank you for signing up
You'll receive e-mail when new stories are published in this series.
Most Read World

world

national-security

Success! Check your inbox for details.

See all newsletters

To keep reading, please enter your email address.

You’ll also receive from The Washington Post:
  • A free 6-week digital subscription
  • Our daily newsletter in your inbox

Please enter a valid email address

I have read and agree to the Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Please indicate agreement.

Thank you.

Check your inbox. We’ve sent an email explaining how to set up an account and activate your free digital subscription.