US panel rejects Guantanamo prisoner release bid

A 34-year-old man from Yemen who has spent the past 12 years at Guantanamo Bay has been rejected as a candidate for release from the U.S. base in Cuba.

Prisoner Abdel Malik al-Rahabi was the second Guantanamo prisoner to appear before a board reevaluating the cases of about 40 men previously deemed too dangerous to release. The six-member panel determined Rahabi should remain in custody. The board said he has significant ties to al-Qaeda and would pose a threat if he returns to Yemen.

Rahabi’s attorney told the review panel Jan. 28 that the prisoner was eager to return to his family and to launch an agriculture enterprise with former Guantanamo prisoners. The attorney did not immediately respond to a request for comment on the decision announced Wednesday.

world

national-security

Success! Check your inbox for details. You might also like:

Please enter a valid email address

See all newsletters

Comments
Show Comments

Sign up for email updates from the "Confronting the Caliphate" series.

You have signed up for the "Confronting the Caliphate" series.

Thank you for signing up
You'll receive e-mail when new stories are published in this series.
Most Read World

world

national-security

Success! Check your inbox for details.

See all newsletters

To keep reading, please enter your email address.

You’ll also receive from The Washington Post:
  • A free 6-week digital subscription
  • Our daily newsletter in your inbox

Please enter a valid email address

I have read and agree to the Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Please indicate agreement.

Thank you.

Check your inbox. We’ve sent an email explaining how to set up an account and activate your free digital subscription.