Authorities on Canada’s Prince Edward Island evacuated all schools and universities across the small province Wednesday after a bomb threat that forced thousands of students to be moved to protected locations, authorities said.
Search teams found no explosives, but the threat — sent via fax — had been deemed serious enough to put a full-scale evacuation into motion among more than 60 schools, said Sgt. Kevin Bailey, a spokesman for the Royal Canadian Mounted Police.
“There’s been no threat found. Everybody is safe,” Bailey told reporters.
He said the threat suggested bombs had been planted at several schools in the Canadian Maritime province.
Earlier, officials said many of the island’s 19,000 students had been taken to “safe locations.”
Three schools in nearby Nova Scotia also were evacuated due to potential threats. Police were investigating possible links with the Prince Edward Island threats, Bailey said.