Miami Herald Finds No Evidence That Reporter Sexually Harassed Navy Spokesman
|
|
Tuesday, August 4, 2009
The Miami Herald said Monday that it has found no evidence to support a Pentagon official's accusation that the newspaper's military correspondent verbally abused and sexually harassed him.
Cmdr. Jeffrey Gordon, the Navy's top spokesman on Guantanamo Bay, contended in a letter to the paper that Carol Rosenberg had engaged in "multiple incidents of abusive and degrading comments of an explicitly sexual nature" at the U.S. military prison in Cuba. The Washington Post reported the complaint late last month.
Elissa Vanaver, the Herald's vice president for human resources, told the Pentagon in a letter that the paper "did not find corroboration" to support Gordon's sexual harassment complaint.
The letter, however, did not dispute the specific comments attributed to Rosenberg, saying: "We do acknowledge, as does Ms. Rosenberg, that there were contentious exchanges and unnecessary profanity on her part. As she continues this assignment, she will place an emphasis on professionalism."
The paper quoted its executive editor, Anders Gyllenhaal, as saying that Herald executives interviewed military officials and journalists from other news organizations, some of whom saw the incidents cited by Gordon. "We found some inconsistencies in [Gordon's] version of events," Gyllenhaal said. He said that dozens of people -- including generals -- who were familiar with the history of clashes between Rosenberg and Gordon had contacted the Herald in support of the reporter.
Rosenberg, a veteran military affairs writer with a reputation for aggressiveness, was quoted as saying: "I have been heartened by an outpouring of support by both the uniformed military who have followed my coverage, and journalists who covered the story."
Reached last night, Gordon declined to comment. His complaint drew attention because of its unusual nature and the graphic nature of the comments he attributed to Rosenberg -- including his contention that she had referred to Pentagon and Justice Department officials and other journalists as "bitches," "stupid," "lazy," "incompetent," "Nazis" and "Saddam Hussein-like."
Col. David Lapan, Gordon's superior, told the Herald in an e-mail that "we have considered this a personnel matter, and it's unfortunate that it has become a news story."