• Flank the TV with bookcases for display and storage.
• Paint walls Rice Paddy, trim and bookcases Classic Light Buff. Both by Sherwin-Williams.
• Add depth and texture by installing wallpaper on the back wall of the bookcases.
• Hang woven shades on the windows. Try to find a shade color that matches the wallpaper.
• Create a conversation area next to the bookshelves and windows.
• Fashion a place to read and relax with two armless love seats and a table in the corner.
• Bring in a natural element with a driftwood coffee table.
Becky Williams recently bought her first place in Cleveland Park. She's ready to start buying furniture but would like advice on how to make the best use of her 12-by-21-foot living room.
Designer Lena Kroupnik suggests dividing the room into two areas to maximize the space. Then, add warmth and personality using color, texture and personal accessories.
ILLUSTRATION: Julius Goyanko - For The Washington Post; PHOTOS: Courtesy; EDITED BY: Terri Sapienza - The Washington Post; WEB PRODUCER: Janet Bennett Kelly - washingtonpost.com; INTERACTIVE: washingtonpost.com