The Washington Post
Navigation Bar
Navigation Bar

Related Items
  • Closer Look
  • Aron Main Page
  •   Salvi Convicted of Murder in Shootings

    By Christopher B. Daly
    Special to The Washington Post
    Tuesday, March 19, 1996; Page A01

    John C. Salvi III, the troubled young man who went on a shooting rampage at two suburban abortion clinics, was found guilty of murder today and sentenced to life in prison without parole.

    Despite his lawyers' attempts to prove him insane, a jury convicted Salvi, 24, of all charges against him: two counts of first-degree murder and five counts of armed assault with intent to murder, all arising from his Dec. 30, 1994, attacks on the two clinics. He was taken quickly to state prison.

    The attacks were the worst violence against abortion clinics in U.S. history and capped a decade of assaults on abortion clinics and their staffs across the country. A federal grand jury in Alexandria, Va., probing the violence concluded in January that there was no nationwide conspiracy to commit violence against abortion clinics or their personnel.

    The verdicts against Salvi brought an emotional climax to a lengthy trial with more than 100 witnesses over six weeks in Norfolk County Superior Court. Salvi remained characteristically aloof, staring ahead and rarely blinking.

    Cries of anguish were heard in court from the families of the victims -- Shannon Lowney, 25, and Lee Ann Nichols, 38. Their parents, brothers, sisters, fiances and friends wept, as they have many times during the trial.

    Salvi shot the two women and wounded five other people during his attack on the clinics in the Boston suburb of Brookline. Witnesses testified during the trial that he had shouted, "This is what you get! You should pray the rosary!" as he fired 10 bullets into Nichols. Salvi was arrested the next day in Norfolk, Va., after he began shooting at an abortion clinic there.

    Just before sentencing, Salvi, whom several defense psychiatrists called a paranoid schizophrenic, got his long-sought chance to address the court. He showed no remorse and continued to request the chance to give interviews to the news media to discuss his views about a purported anti-Catholic conspiracy.

    "As you know, I haven't pled guilty though I am against abortion," Salvi said. "My position is pro-welfare state, pro-Catholic labor union and, basically, pro-life."

    Moments later, Judge Barbara Dortch-Okara authorized the clerk to read out the sentences. Salvi was ordered to serve two consecutive life prison terms, followed by 18 to 20 years for the assault convictions. Massachusetts does not have a death penalty. Under state law, a first-degree murder conviction sparks an automatic appeal.

    Nicki Nichols Gamble, the president of Planned Parenthood of Massachusetts, which operates one of the clinics attacked by Salvi, said the verdict "will help to de-escalate the climate of fear and violence that has surrounded the services we provide."

    "Justice was done," said Mark Nichols, a brother of Lee Ann Nichols. His mother, Ruth Ann Nichols, was allowed to deliver a victim impact statement to the court. "Without hesitation, I hope you have sheer misery every day of your life, as you have brought all the families," she said, addressing Salvi. "I request and hope that every December 30th they put you in solitary confinement."

    Salvi's lead defense attorney, J.W. Carney Jr., indicated his appeal will be based in part on the judge's refusal to allow Salvi to testify. In the closing moments of the trial, Carney had asserted Salvi's right to testify, but tried to limit the areas in which the prosecution could cross-examine him, so the judge turned him down.

    At trial, Carney acknowledged in his opening statement that Salvi had fired the fatal shots, and he declined to challenge any of the prosecution's witnesses. Instead, the defense lawyer claimed that Salvi was a "sick, sick young man" who used careful tactics and foresight in pursuit of a delusional plan. Carney had sought a verdict of not guilty by reason of insanity, which would have placed Salvi in a state mental hospital until a judge ruled that he was no longer a threat.

    Assistant District Attorney John Kivlan portrayed Salvi as a cunning antiabortion zealot, a "terrorist" who plotted the murders, then evaded an elaborate police manhunt.

    Kivlan showed that Salvi purchased a .22-caliber Sturm Ruger semiautomatic rifle, and customized it with a folding stock and pistol grip. Near his home in Hampton, N.H., Salvi purchased 1,000 hollow-tip bullets, designed to maximize injuries to human victims.

    Although the prosecution presented evidence that Salvi had attended meetings of antiabortion groups and had many pamphlets against abortion, the trial never showed that Salvi had any links to the organized antiabortion movement.

    © Copyright 1998 The Washington Post Company

    Back to the top

    Navigation Bar
    Navigation Bar