Home   |   Register               Web Search: by Google
channel navigation

News Home Page
News Digest
Home & Garden
Weekly Sections
Print Edition
Site Index

Suspect in Trooper's Death to Be Extradited to D.C.

By Fredrick Kunkle
Washington Post Staff Writer
Friday, November 17, 2000; 5:15 p.m. EST

BROOKLYN, N.Y., Nov. 17-A federal magistrate today ordered the Silver Spring man accused of killing a Maryland state trooper to be returned to the District, where he will face murder charges.

U.S. District Court magistrate A. Simon Chrein found that Kofi Orleans-Lindsay, 23, was indeed the man sought in connection with the slaying of trooper Edward M. Toatley, who was working undercover when he was shot during a prearranged drug deal in Northeast Washington on Oct. 30. Orleans-Lindsay was arrested in Brooklyn on Monday after a two-week manhunt.

Chrein ruled that fingerprint evidence and a law enforcement officer's identification of Orleans-Lindsay on a videotape of the shooting were sufficient to confirm his identity. D.C. Detective Lorren D. Leadmon testified that a videotape of the shooting was shown to the officer, who has known Orleans-Lindsey since grade school.

An FBI agent testified that the fingerprints and photograph taken of Orleans-Lindsay following his arrest also matched fingerprints and a photo take by D.C. police when Orleans-Lindsay was arrested last Jan. 14 on charges of unauthorized use of a motor vehicle.

Assistant U.S. Attorney William O'Malley of the District said that a federal complaint charging Orleans-Lindsay with murder of a federal officer was filed today. The trooper had been deputized as part of a federal and state task force. The new charge, which supercedes a homicide charge filed in D.C. Superior Court, is punishable by death.

Billy L. Ponds, a lawyer who will be representing Orleans-Lindsay, said he probably will not be returned to the District until sometime next week. Ponds said U.S. marshals have up to 10 days to transport the prisoner.

The hearing focused solely on whether Orleans-Lindsay was the person sought in the arrest warrant. Andrew Carter, his court appointed lawyer for the hearing, did not challenge the identification. But Carter was clearly laying the groundwork for the argument that the person who appears on the undercover videotape shooting Toatley could be someone else.

Police say that after taking $3,500 in marked currency from the officer, Orleans-Lindsay stepped away from the undercover trooper's Toyota 4-runner, as if to obtain the drugs from a "stash house." Orleans-Lindsay returned minutes later and fired a single shot, striking the trooper in the head. Toatley, a 16-year veteran, died two and a half hours later in a hospital. Hidden video cameras and microphones in the officer's car captured the shooting.

© 2000 The Washington Post Company