Chapter Five:
A Secret Meeting
Who Killed Chandra Levy?
Who Killed Chandra Levy?
Key Dates
Page 2 of 2    ęBack

On June 23, Condit agreed to meet the D.C. detectives a second time. He was still angry about the leaks and complained that his comments to police had wound up in the newspaper. But the congressman wanted to cooperate, to put the case behind him. He and Lowell met the detectives at 2:55 p.m. inside a private Georgetown residence. During the hour-long interview, the detectives had dozens of questions. Condit answered all but one.

He told the detectives he last saw Chandra at his apartment on April 24 or 25. They talked about the end of her internship and her plans to return to California. Condit repeated his statement that he had no idea what happened to her; there was nothing unusual about her mood; and they hadn't argued. She wasn't complaining about problems with other people. She wasn't angry with anyone.

The detectives asked the congressman about his relationship with Chandra. He described her as a constituent who became a friend and said she believed he could help advance her career. He restated what he had told them before: that he had met her in the fall of 2000 when she and a friend stopped by his Capitol Hill office.

He said Chandra came to his apartment three or four times. He said that they never went outside of Washington together and that he never gave her any gifts. This contradicted the statement of Chandra's aunt, Linda Zamsky, who had told police that the congressman had given her niece a gold bracelet. When police asked Condit about the bracelet, he said he never gave one to Chandra.

Barrett asked Condit to account for his whereabouts between April 28 and May 3. Condit said he didn't see Chandra during that time. On Saturday, April 28, he said, he rode his bicycle to a U.S. Capitol gym and returned to his apartment that night. On Sunday, April 29, he spent the day and night with his wife. Around noon, he called Chandra on his cellphone and spoke to her for less than two minutes. He couldn't recall the details of the conversation. On April 30, he worked in his congressional office.

On May 1, the day Chandra disappeared, Condit said, he left his apartment at 11 in the morning and worked until 6:30, when he went out to dinner at Tryst in Adams Morgan. He would later tell the detectives that he met with Vice President Cheney early that afternoon. On May 2, Condit worked on Capitol Hill, then went shopping and had dinner at an Adams Morgan restaurant with his wife. On May 3, Condit said, his wife returned to California.

Rep. Gary Condit's lawyer Abbe Lowell (Jahi Chikwendiu - Post)

Lowell had told the detectives to assume Condit and Chandra had a relationship and to avoid questions that were not germane. But Durant pressed Condit for more details about the relationship. Lowell interrupted, directing his client not to answer.

Condit would later say that police had learned everything they needed from him in their first 45-minute interview with him a month earlier, on May 9. "There was nothing else," he said. "Every meeting after that they just added stuff, you know, things that they could think of, you know, about other women or whatever."


Tips were pouring in to the D.C. police department from all over the world at a furious pace, each one stranger than the last. Hundreds of psychics and oddballs were phoning in with their hunches, their visions and their sightings. Some of the tips were plausible. Others were not. All took time away from the case. Police were frustrated. They were spending an unprecedented amount of time on the case and not getting a meaningful break - a witness, a piece of physical evidence, a solid tip from an informant.

Instead, they were hearing about ghostly visions.

One psychic said that Chandra's throat was slashed and that she was put in a body bag and stowed in the basement of a Smithsonian storage building in Anacostia. Police checked the building but found nothing.

Another said Chandra was murdered and dumped in the Potomac near the Memorial Bridge. A dive team found nothing.

Another caller said Chandra was a victim of a suicide bombing in Israel. Police called their counterparts there; it wasn't true. Another psychic told a Maryland state trooper that Chandra was buried in Howard County. Troopers checked the site, but it was another false lead.

One tipster said that Chandra died in Nevada during a botched abortion by a veterinarian and that she was buried in the desert, a tip that fed a persistent rumor that Chandra was pregnant. The private investigators went out West, but came back empty-handed.

The Secret Service was brought in for its expertise at analyzing cellphone calls. Agents discovered that weeks before she disappeared, Chandra made a call that was picked up by a cellphone tower near the Columbia Hospital for Women in Foggy Bottom. Detectives checked with the hospital to find out whether it performed abortions. It didn't.

  1   2   ęBack
Next chapter: The predator in the park. In-depth preview
The Washington Post spent a year reconstructing the disappearance of Chandra Levy and the investigation of her death. Reporters interviewed scores of people, including police officials, investigators and suspects - many for the first time - and obtained details about dozens of previously unknown private conversations and events.

© The Washington Post Company