Washington Post-ABC News
The latest Washington Post-ABC News poll is based on telephone interviews with 762 randomly selected adults nationwide conducted Sunday, November 12. The margin of error for overall results is plus or minus 4 percentage points. Interviewing was conducted by TNS Intersearch of Horsham, Pa.
1: How closely have you been following the situation involving last Tuesday's presidential election - very closely, somewhat closely, not too closely or not closely at all?
Very Somewhat Not too Not closely No closely closely closely at all opin. 11/12/00 46 39 11 5 0
2. Please tell me whether you approve or disapprove of the way (ITEM) is/are handling the election situation.
11/12/00 Approve Disapprove No opin. A. The Bush campaign 46 45 9 B. The Gore campaign 44 47 9 C. Local officials in Florida 40 42 17 D. The news media 48 43 8
3. How do you feel about the election situation overall - are you personally worried about it, or not worried? If worried: Are you very worried about it, or somewhat worried?
--------Worried--------- Not No (Net) Very Somewhat Worried opin. 11/12/00 47 19 28 52 1
4. For each item I name, please tell me if it's something that you personally are worried about, or not worried about as a result of the election situation. Are you very worried about it, or somewhat worried?
11/12/00 --------Worried--------- Not No (Net) Very Somewhat Worried opin. A. The candidate you support might not win. 45 22 23 54 2 B. It may take weeks or months before the winner is declared. 56 27 28 44 * C. People might lose faith in this country's political system. 56 28 28 43 1 D. Whoever becomes president will be in a weak position to lead the country. 44 17 26 53 3 E. The United States looks weak and confused to other countries. 48 25 24 51 1 F. The system of electing presidents may be unreliable. 53 27 26 44 2
5. Do you think this situation reveals serious problems in this country's system of electing the president, or do you think it's just the kind of thing that can happen in a very close election?
Problem in system Happens in close election No opinion 11/12/00 32 65 3
6. For future presidential elections, would you support or oppose changing to a system in which the president is elected by direct popular vote, instead of by the electoral college?
Support Oppose No opinion 11/12/00 63 31 6
7. The candidate who wins Florida probably will win the electoral college and become the next president. Florida is recounting its votes because the election there was so close. Some people say the candidates should accept the recount in Florida when it's completed, even if they think the voting there was unfair. Others say they should ask the courts to consider whether the voting was fair, even after the recount is completed. What do you think - should the candidates (accept the recount), or (ask the courts to look into these other issues)? Do you feel that way strongly or only somewhat?
--Accept the recount-- --Courts look into other issues-- Depends No Net Strgly. Smewht. Net Strgly. Smwhat. (vol.) opin. 11/12/00 67 55 12 28 23 5 1 4
8. How confident are you that the Florida results will be counted accurately - very confident, somewhat confident, not too confident or not confident at all?
------Confident------- ------Not Confident----- No Net Very Somewhat Net Not too Not at all opin. 11/12/00 59 21 38 38 20 18 3
9. As you may have heard, there have been complaints about the design of the ballot that was used in Palm Beach County, Florida. Have you seen that ballot in the newspaper or on television, or not? IF seen ballot: In your own opinion, was that a fair or an unfair ballot?
-------Yes------ Have Not Seen No Net Fair Unfair Ballot opin. 11/12/00 75 39 36 23 2
10. Do you think there should or should not be a new presidential election in Palm Beach County, Florida?
Yes No No opinion 11/12/00 33 61 6
11. Do you think there should or should not be a new presidential election in the entire state of Florida?
Yes No No opinion 11/12/00 23 73 4
12. Do you think the Bush campaign should or should not ask for a recount in other states where Bush lost by only a narrow margin?
Yes No No opinion 11/12/00 37 56 7
13. Do you think the Gore campaign should or should not ask for a recount in other states where Gore lost by only a narrow margin?
Yes No No opinion 11/12/00 34 59 7
14. Do you think there should or should not be a new presidential election in other states where the election was very close?
Yes No No opin. 11/12/00 15 81 4
15. Do you think there should or should not be a new presidential election across the entire country?
Yes No No opin. 11/12/00 21 77 2
16. As you probably know, the results of Tuesday's presidential election are still unclear. Who do you personally want to see become the next president - (Al Gore) or (George W. Bush)?
Neither Other No Gore Bush (vol.) (vol.) opin. 11/12/00 44 45 6 1 4*=Less than 0.5 percent
© Copyright 2000 The Washington Post Company
Columns - Cartoons | Live Online | Online Extras | Photo Galleries | Video - Audio