The Washington Post
Navigation Bar
Navigation Bar

Related Items
 Redskins Section

NFL Section

  36,000 See Bears Crush Redskins for Title, 73-0

By Al Hailey
Washington Post Staff Writer
December 9, 1940; Page 1

The Chicago Bears left no doubt about it yesterday — they are the best the world has to offer in the way of professional football. Here's why:

Bears, 73; Redskins, 0.

Unbelievable as it may seem, that's the tale the scoreboard told when the Chicagoans finished making shambles out of the Redskins in the play-off for the championship of the National Professional Football League.

It was the worst beating suffered by a team in the annals of the National League. Playing before a sold-out crowd in Griffith Stadium, the Bears shocked 36,034 fans unti lthe final gun with the most spectacular type of football ever seen in the District. Here's what they did to Washington's Eastern Division champions:

Osmanski Breaks Loose
They turned loose Bill Osmanski on a 68-yard touchdown run in the first 55 seconds of play.

They ran plays from their famous T formation all over the field in a power display that carried 80 yards down the field for another score.

They intercepted eight Redskins passes and returned three of them back for touchdowns.

Just to kill the monotony of it all, they tore open holes in the Redskin line to let Joe Maniaci get away for 42 yards, Ray Nolting get a mere 23 and Harry Clark gallop 44 yards for three more touchdowns.

They added insult to injury by recoving Frank Filchock's fumble on the Redskin 2-yard line and bucking it over for another touchdown.

Luckman Completes Pass
They stole some of the Redskins' past glory with a brief excursion into the air and gave the scoreboard attendant another job when Quarterback Sid Luckman's forward pass fell perfectly into the arms of End Ken Kavanaugh over the heads of two Redskin interferers in the end zone.

They hauled down one of Sammy Baugh's passes and drove 42 yards with straight power to make their seventy-third point.

With their 11 touchdowns, the Bears threw in seven extra points, and couldn't resist the urge to go a bit unconventional even in this department. Instead of place-kicking for the conversion after their tenth score, Quarterback Sollie Sherman had Clark fake a kick and then ran crazily back with the ball to pass to Maniaci over the goal line for the Bears' sixty-seventh point.

With every point they made, the Bears added another figure to their bank account.

Net Gate Is Record
The $102,280 net gate broke all records for a pro game, and by their victory the Chicago team took down a solid $32,737.68 of this. The Redskins came out with $21,825.12.

But if the Redskins were thinking about their personal shares in the player pool, they didn't show it — in fact, the Redskins didn't show anything.

They weren't exactly idle — fact is, they beat the Bears in the first down department, 18 to 17, but —

They couldn't get through that big Beareine.

They couldn't keep that big Bear line out of their backfield.

They suffered a stroke of ill fortune at the outset of the game that broke their spirit.

From that point on they might as well have been in a hypnotic state — in fact, there's a great deal of suspicion that the Bears' wizardry cast a spell over them before the first quarter was over.

That incident which easily might have made the game a different tale had it carried through to its purported conclusion came the first time the Redskins got their hands on the ball.

After Osmanski's amazing 68-yard sweep around the Redskin left side, the Skins started out with a bang when Max Krause took Jack Manders' kickoff on his 4-yard line and behind near-perfect blocking ran it back 56 yards to the Bear 40.

With Jimmy Johnston and Ed Justice doing the running, they moved the ball downto the 35-yard line, and that's where their spirits were deflated. Sammy Baugh stepped back and passed perfectly into the arms of End Charley Malone on the 4-yard line. Charley was in the clear, but the pass bounced off his hands.

Their plumage obviously drooping, the Redskins then decided to try a field goal with Bob Masterson kicking from the Bear 32. But that was no good, either, and the Bears took over at that point and began to go to town.

The Redskins didn't exactly give up then, however, and they were back at the Bears' 18, 10 and 14 yard lines before the score became too large for them to entertain any idea of overtaking. But the Bears never let up. They used every man on their squad of 33 and broke up every Redskin scoring thrust.

The Redskins were so bedeviled by the Bears that they could only get 3 yards rushing the ball on the ground. They had to go into the air and stay there and even then the Bears were ready for them. The Chicagoans, meanwhile, piled up 372 yards with their deceptive steamroller running attack and added 120 by forward passing for a total of 492 yards — exactly 260 more than the Redskins could get all afternoon.

Dick Todd Hurt
The Bears robbed the Redskins of their greatest defensive back when Dick Todd was injured midway of the second quarter in a collision with Tackle Ed Kolman and couldn't return to the game. Todd, also the Skins' outstanding running threat, didn't carry the ball on a running play the entire time he was in there — about five minutes, for the Redskin signal callers were sticking to a routine set of plays. They didn't reveal anything out of the ordinary until late in the game, when Masterson stepped back from his end position just before the ball was snapped to make Guard Dick Farman eligible to receive a pass. Dick ran like mad toward the Bear goal, but Rookie Roy Zimmerman's pass was far over his head and fell harmlessly in the Chicago end zone.

The Redskins were further weakened defensively when Max Krause had to leave the game when 218-pound Lee Artoe clipped him at the knees after the whistle had ended a Bear play, and when Charley Malone was stretched out trying to stop George McAfee's touchdown return of an intercepted pass. The veteran Skin end made a lunge for McAfee and received a set of caved-in ribs.

At the outset it was apparent that the Bears weren't the same team they were when the Redskins beat them here in November. The deception in their man-in-motion plays was perfect and had the Redskin defense so disorganized that they were shifting from a six to a five-man line in the first quarter, finally adopting the five-man line in sheer desperation.

The Redskins time after tmie were decoped out of the side by the Bears' hybrid formation — a combination of the spread and the man in motion.

Double Reverse Pulled
The most beautiful play of the day gave the Bears their ninth touchdown.

It was a double reverse — from Sherman to Gary Famiglietti to Harry Clark and it completely fooled the Redskins. Famiglietti took the ball from Sherman, started around his left side and then handed it to Clark as the latter came flying around in the opposite direction.

Filchock got in Clark's way on the 35 at the right sideline, but about all he could do was wave at Harry, who shook off his weak attempt to make the tackle.

The Redskin linemen, weakened by injuries, did a noble job trying to stem the tide of Chicago touchdowns, and in the second quarter they fought them on even terms, holding the Bears to a lone touchdown while opening up enough holes for the backs to get inside the Chicago 15-yard line twice.

Big 268-pound Willie Wilkin was a mountain on defense and offense and as he left the field late in the game after playing almost the full 60 minutes, the fans who had been ridiculing their yestermonth's idols areose as one and gave him a big hand. Willie was crying unashamedly.

It was Wilkin who was such a big factor in the Redskins' march deep into Bear territory, and it was Rookie Blocking Back Hoffman who put a convincing block on Bear End Clyde Plasman permitting Filchock to get off a pass to Wayne Milner that put the Redskins on the Bear 18 near the end of the first half.

But that scoring opportunity went begging just as one had but five minutes before it.

Bob McChesney set it in motion on the Redskin 19-yard line, and he was the party to its sudden death on the Bear 4-yard line.

Filchock's passes — one a 35-yard toss that Milner gathered in which an almost impossible catch — moved the ball down to the 18, but the last one to McChesney was too low for the big end to catch. McChesney, playing with a broken hand encased in a cast, was in the clear on two other passes during the game, but each time he couldn't hold on to the ball with his made-to-order hand.

Farkas in Game
Andy Farkas, the Redskins' fullback who was voted but one-half a share in the players' cut of the gate, got into the game in the second quarter but didn't do anything until midway of the second half, when he lugged a Bear kickoff 36 yards up the field.

Then trailing hopelessly late in the final period, Coach Ray Flaherty chose to risk Farkas' right knee, operated on only last September, and before hte game was over Farkas had reinjured the member.
The players' individual cut of the gate amounted to $873.99 per player for the Bears, and $606.25 for the Redskins.

© Copyright 1940 The Washington Post Company

Back to the top

Navigation Bar
Navigation Bar
WP Yellow Pages